TaeKwonDo or Ballet?

Which would you prefer your child in & why?

Me & DH have mixed thoughts. So whats your opinion? DD has never been in any activities so we must start with 1.... then maybe later if we think she can handle it we will may add something else in.. But at 4. I think 1 thing at a time is best?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I was in Taekwondo for years. I'm actually an instructor so I'd say Taekwondo based on my experience. But the mom in me says let her make her own choice. Take her to watch practices and let her watch and make her own choice. She may change her mind later on but at least she won't feel forced into doing what you want her to do.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 4:04 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Tae Kwon Do. I think it teaches discipline and self-defense, both of which are very useful.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I would definitely start with one activity. She's so young yet. I would maybe even bring her to watch a couple sessions of a few different activities and let her choose which one she wants to start with. Maybe she'll like gymnastics, dance, or hockey! you never know! Have fun!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 1:02 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Let her try both and make the decision for herself. She may have a preference.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:04 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Either one really. My little girl is 4 and I'd love to try her out in dance. I always wanted to put my boys in Tae Kwon Do. I think they are both great for teaching discipline and Tae Kwon Do is great for self-defense. I agree that it's best to start her out in one activity and see how she does before starting a new one.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 1:05 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Taekwondo is something that I think even very young children can benefit from, and it teaches useful skills. My 5 year old, 8 year old, my husband, and I are all taking taekwondo classes. The "tiny tigers" class my youngest is in goes from ages 3 to 6 and it's about half girls. The girls are really great at it, better than most of the boys.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:42 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Taekwondo because i did karate most of my childhood and into my adulthood.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Either can be great for fitness and discipline, I would just see what she likes best, see if you can do trial classes of each.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i would pick ballet
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Thanks ladies for the advice..
    We are going to try to take her to visit both places in the next week (TKD has 1 free class. Dont know about ballet though).. Its her choice.. Later on (after finishing one) she can try out the other if she wants, or maybe by then she can do both.
    Id love for her to chose TaeKwonDo.. But then again what lil' girl doesnt look adorable in a tutu & slippers! lol :)
    MommaTasha1003

Comment by MommaTasha1003 (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Nov. 12, 2010