Do you ever feel like your parents abandoned you?

I feel like an orphan. Both my parents are living, but I never see or hear from them unless they want some thing. Never a call to chat, never a call to ask about their grandkids. My Mother has been a hateful selfish person my entire life. It has just gotten worse over the years. She lives with a guy who she hates every other day, and he is #1 in her life. I envy those women who have good relationships with their Moms, because I never had one. She spent my childhood running out on my Dad and leaving me and my sister behind. My Dad was my only parent for the longest time, but since they got divorced in 2005, he's an absentee parent/grandparent too, and an alcoholic. I've talked to both of them many times, but they don't get it. They're both so wrapped up in their lives there's no room for us. My Mother refuses to acknowledge that she is wrong. Does any one else feel abandoned by their parents?

Mrs.B3

Asked by Mrs.B3 at 1:19 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I really think I grew up in some sort of bubble. I had no idea there were bad things like this going on in the world until about the age of 19 or so. I was very lucky...and so were the friends around me. I am close to both my parents...although I just lost my dad a year ago. I feel bad for you ladies. I hope you are doing well, and I KNOW because of your experiences you will be better moms for it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:07 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes. My birth mother, stepfather, and birth father were all abusive. My mom and dad gave me to my grandparents when I was 3, I think. They had me until I was 8, when my mom suddenly "wanted" me back when she got pregnant again. I raised my sister until she was almost 5, then my grandparents got custody of me again. Since then, I've seen my dad maybe 4 times, once was to sign adoption papers. I've seen my mom a few more times than that, but one of those times was also for her to sign the adoption papers. Since I was 15, my grandparents have been my legal parents. I have little contact with my mom and dad anymore.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:08 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I don't have the relationship that I wish I had with them, but I don't feel like an orphan either. I wish that my mom was my best friend, like many of my friend's mothers are to them. I also wish I was a "daddy's girl", but I didn't know my father until I was 18 so it's too late for that. I just want to give my son everything I wish I had.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 4:28 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• ohhh yeah, both my parents are alcholics. i have been fostered since i was 5years old with my bro and sis. i haven seen or heard from my dad since i was 4, but he still sends his (my grandad) birthday cards and xmas cards, but fails to ever mention us. my grandad writes him letter all about us. he doesn care. as far as i know he has another kid now. my mom on the other hand, has always stayd in contact with us and she has a daugther who is 16 now.i don't know her to weel ,but we try to stay in contact. i have only startd talking to my mom again, after 4years of no contact. i was mad at her and i needed time to be myself and live my life to figure out how i feel abouther and why she ended up doin what she did. we now talk, but not that much. i am at a point where i will forgive, but never forget. i envey girls who have a close realationship with their moms and kinda get mad when they complain about their mom.
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 1:55 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I'm so sorry. Alcoholism is so terrible, it really rips families apart. You deserve loving parents!
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:01 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• my mother literally abandoned me....she left me in a bowling alley at 2 monthes old. I lived with my dads parents, he then was murdered when I was 7. he was an alcoholic ( but a good man to me). Then my grandpa who raised me died when I was 16. And my mom/ grandma is not too well, so yes, I sometimes feel like I am alone!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Well she doesn't feel wrong.
    My mother is alive and doing well. So is my father. My mother wants to be close to me but doesn't know how to develop a relationship.
    You really have to learn this simple thing. It took me until my kids were born. You have to forgive your parents for not living up to your expectations. They are who they are. Once you do that you will be okay honey. It is hard to come to terms with but if you can do that and let it go you will be a happier person.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes my mother has always walked in and out of my life until I was about 25 and I walked out on her and refuse to let her back in. My dad is not known.
    gratefulangel77

Answer by gratefulangel77 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• No, but I feel for you and your situation.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I know mine did. The day we came home from the hospital after birth my mother dumped us on my grandma and took off to do her own thing. We pretty much lived with my grandma up until my grandpa died when I was 8. After that they just left my siblings and I at home alone while there were gone 80% of the time. I remember eating out of cans because they didn't leave any food for us. It's one of the main reasons why I don't have a relationship with my parents now.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2010