How do I keep cats off my counters?

Frankly, I love my 2 cats but find this habit disgusting, and so does my husband. We have tried the water bottle (spraying, not drenching!) but now they just jump off when they see us coming. I am also worried about the holidays when we have our tree up, I don't want broken ornaments or lights from stupid cats.

brighteyesbryar

Asked by brighteyesbryar at 1:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Pets

• You call your cats 'stupid' and 'disgusting' and claim you also love them? I'm confused.

I've never known a cat that didn't get on the counters, and from the sounds of it you've already trained them as well as can be expected ~ they jump down when they see you coming. Get yourself a spray bottle and put a decent disinfectant in it and wipe your counters before you cook.

You can try one of the motion activated moving/sound ornaments under the tree. It works great for some cats, doesn't do squat for others. Make sure they can't drink out of the tree stand, and don't use tinsel (the strands) unless you like high vet bills.

I've shared my home with cats for years ... my trees have always survived, and I've managed to can and dehydrate food without making anyone sick in spite of them. They have all been part of the family and spoiled rotten in spite of being 'cats'.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:00 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• If you really don't want them on the counter then make rolls of painters tape and stick to the counters where they jump up. Of course I have breakfast every morning with my cat laying next to me. We feed our cats on one part of the counter too. Otherwise the dogs will eat the cat food. I just shoo everyone off and wipe it down with diluted bleach before I cook. We never get sick. We put the non-breakable ornaments on the bottom of the tree.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 10:09 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Maybe a loud annoying noise when you see them up there? I'm thinking like....buy a disposable pie pan or one of those disposable turkey pans and bang the heck out of it everytime you see them up there. That might do it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• my cat does the same annoying thing. if you find something that works let me know!! good luck!! :)
    americanadian25

Answer by americanadian25 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• When you catch them up there or see them about to get up there, spray them with a water bottle (from behind so they don't know it's you). They will hopefully begin to relate being up on the counter with getting sprayed with water and not want to do it. Good luck! And don't let them lick the bar of soap at the kitchen or bath counter sink areas, gives them diarrhea!
    CCMom123BetsyR

Answer by CCMom123BetsyR at 3:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2010