I am looking to move and have a place more or less picked out. I am kind of worried about something the potential landlord is doing.

First off, the property has an old farm house on it and it is in the process of being remodeled. The mobile home I will be living in isn't even on the property yet. The landlord is rushing and pushing me to get the power bill turned on right away. He says it's to install the mobile home, but then says that he has to have plumbers and electricians on site Thurs am for the farm house. He says he'll pay the Nov bill but nothing is in writing. He won't say why he won't put it in his name to begin with. Also, he is calling me 8-10 times a day the latest he's called tonight was 10pm! I don't like that he's only calling me & not DH when he and my DH were friends to begin with. I feel he's hiding something and the more he rushes and pushes me the more I want to slam on the brakes. Am I being overly overcautious? I am going to insist there be separate meters for each home or I won't do the deal. I can't pay for power tools being used

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 2:02 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Run in the opposite direction - you are being scammed.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• in the main house when I won't be living there. I also ran a background on the landlord & his wife and found 4 open cases in small claims court that they have initiated suing other people. They also have numerous speeding tickets between the 2 of them - not that these are really serious but I am a little concerned with the lawsuits....advice please! Thanks!
    Babylove76

Comment by Babylove76 (original poster) at 2:04 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Sounds fishy. I'd be VERY wary and talk to your DH about you feel.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Read your added info. Never mind the wary....run, run far far away from this as a possibility!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Trust your instincts. He should not be prssuring you for any of these things. What about finding another place? GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:07 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Run away! He should turn the power on in his name. each unit should have a seperate meter. You can switch the meter into your name when you take possession and have a signed lease agreement.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:02 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Avoid this situation!!! Sounds bad, if he is the owner he can have the power cut on IN HIS NAME now, and then have you transfer it after you get the keys! You DO NOT cut the power on for him to use!!! If its not written down dont work with it, dont go off of what he "says" verbal agreements dont hold up in court. IF there are that many suits against him, I would just take off and find some where else. Trust in what you feel.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• 4 open cases.... he is a scam artist. get a diff appartment!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Go with your gut!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• follow your gut
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2010