Anyone happen to know what the best cleaner to use on mildew is?

We rented a house and it's really old, built in 1949 I think ..floor registers and everything. Anyway, no vent fan in the bathroom and I'm not sure if that's the reason or not, but there's mildew covering the ceiling. I sprayed Arm & Hammer Scrub Free on it, but it didn't help at all. Anything else I should try?

Dakshayani

Asked by Dakshayani at 2:07 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I buy the generic store brand stuff. I think it's just called, "mold and mildew remover" (from the grocery store.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• vinegar and baking soda are cheap, all-natural cleaners that work wonders
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:16 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• don't use anything with bleach, the stains will reappear. Bleach only takes away mildew's appearance, but underneath its still there and will return.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:17 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yeah I certainly want to do whatever it takes to kill the mildew or mold, whatever it is lol.
    Dakshayani

Comment by Dakshayani (original poster) at 2:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• tilex
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:00 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• bleach
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 1:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I just finished cleaning both my bathrooms and noticed mildew on the ceiling.......and there is a fan in each bathroom! lol I sprayed Clorox Clean-Up (cleaner with Bleach) and that worked!
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 3:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• 4theloveofTink - that's so weird, I wonder where it comes from? I mean, I've lived all over the place in my 35 years and have never seen mildew covering a bathroom ceiling like this. I assumed it was b/c there aren't vent fans, but I guess there's no telling. You know though ..I think the water heater is above the bathroom ceiling upstairs, I wonder if that's it?
    I'll have the DH pick up some Clorox Clean-Up to try out, thanks! :)
    Dakshayani

Comment by Dakshayani (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2010