pacifier vs thumb...

pros and cons for both..

WhitneyMommyOf2

Asked by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:27 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Pacifier.. You can't take a thumb away.
    alicia.b21

Answer by alicia.b21 at 2:38 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i agree with alicia.b21 you can't take a thumb away when it is time to wing them but you can take a pacifier. i think the con to pacifiers is cleaning and keeping up with them.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 3:13 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• my girl loves her pacifier -- she never sucked on her thumb though
    Genesis29

Answer by Genesis29 at 4:38 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• All my kids had pacifiers and gave them up by the time they were 5 months old it is true you can take a pacifier away but not their thumb but i have to draw the line when I see 3,4 and 5 year olds still sucking on a pacifier.
    Die4Jesus

Answer by Die4Jesus at 5:39 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• what i don't like about pacifers is the constant having to get up to put it in thier mouths. i never gave it to my second, third of 4th child. i did with my first and it was insane. that thing fell over and over and i was beat all the time in the first few 5 months. i didn't give it to the second and then he got into thumb sucking..and although that didn't cause me to lose sleep he kept sucking his thumb well into 9 years old until his dentist should him a bugs bunny picture. LOLOLOL then he stopped using it.i didn't let my 3 or 4 suck their thumbs . they did however suck on their mitten gloved hands and i found that they did not get addicted. they only sucked here and there and before 6 months no longer sucked. interestingly enough what that did get was a liking for material. my 3 year old.. loves the feels of material and she will feel them .. my 7 month old feels the materials too.. but no longer sucks on them. sanity
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 7:48 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• both are negative, and mine never did either. Not that I thik tha a parent who gives one is bad! I just dnt do it!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My 1st and 4th had pacifiers and I never saw any negatives to them - we had tons so there were no problems with keeping up with them, they didn't wake up to have me put them back in during the night, and there were no problems limiting it to the crib at 12 months and getting rid of it altogether at 2 years. No problems, and it reduces SIDS.
    My 2nd sucked his fingers and I thought it was going to take forever to get him to stop!

Answer by missanc at 10:10 AM on Nov. 3, 2010