Do you have a probleme that they took prayer out of the schools?

I haven't thought about it in years until the other day when my little cousin said something about her school not having it. That bothers me. Do you agree or disagree with it. No rude comments please.

jessesmama22

Asked by jessesmama22 at 2:40 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• – collapse
    I definitely disagree with it. But if they take it away it doesn't stop a student's right to pray in school. And the people who all rallied to take it away will be the ones in the long run who suffer from their poor decision. God is a just God.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:42 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• I'm in full agreement with equal rights for all. Imagine that some ancient religion that predates most current religions today, like Zoroastrianism, was displayed (like in prayer) where your children went to school. You probably would rally to have it taken out of school so that your children aren't subjected to it.
    We had prayer around the flag at my high school. I didn't care since I didn't have to do it. However, the kids who did the prayer thing started proselytizing to me after I declined to take one of their religious tracts. I would come to school everyday to find loads of them in my locker. Before I left that school because of the constant abuse, someone had used a sharpie to write "Tiffany Potter must die!" on the bathroom stall walls.
    I have religious friends, so I definitely know they aren't all that hateful. Those kids at that school felt they had the right to do that though, and they were wrong.
    Dakshayani

Answer by Dakshayani at 2:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I have no problem with it because it is my place to lead/teach my child in religious activities not their teacher.
    alicia.b21

Answer by alicia.b21 at 2:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Prayer is a personal thing. And even if there's no official prayer in schools, it doesn't stop. "As long as there are tests, there will always be prayer in public schools." That, and prayer doesn't have to be out loud. You pray silently, in your mind, in your heart, and God hears. Even though group prayer isn't supposed to happen, it does. When I did drama in high school, our director would always let us have a few moments together without her before a show so that we could "focus". We all knew that it was our signal for prayer. Let them try to take God out of every aspect of our lives, and we'll just find more ways to put him back in.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 2:55 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• What's with the disire for everyone to hear personal prayers? Whats with the idea that a person of faith NEEDS to have a lead prayer? A student can pray in school they just can't lead one. Who cares if a body is praying quietly to themselves.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:16 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I meant, * desire* not disire.....ARGH
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:25 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i believe that everyone has the right to pray any where, it doesn't matter where they are. A child who is taught at home to pray and worship God isn't going to stop just because the school says they can't. No one can stop anyone from praying because praying is a personal talk between you and God.
    Die4Jesus

Answer by Die4Jesus at 3:45 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• They didn't take it out of school.. they just said that the school cannot lead a prayer... big difference.
    But, I wonder, would you have an issue with my son reciting the prayer to Horus during school? If the teacher led it?
    Or my nieces giving thanks to the Mother Goddess? If the teacher led it?
    That is all that happened. The child can still pray in school... the teachers cannot say... "Let's bow our heads and give the "Our Father" or "Hail Mary"
    So, no, it does not bother me.. unless the teachers want to dedicate a prayer to each belief system that still exists today.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 4:48 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• no cuz not everyone believes in God. If your gonna have traditional Christian prayer time, then you have to fairly make room for every other religion's practices as well, and that would be too complicated and time consuming.

School is a place for learning, not practicing your religious practices. Thats for home and religious centers.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:32 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I'm not Christian and I don't want my kids being forced to pray. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:24 AM on Nov. 3, 2010