How can I convince my husband to let me homeschool our kids??

alicia.b21

Asked by alicia.b21 at 2:47 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in

• better to ask this in the happy homeschoolers group here on CM, BUT write a list of pros and cons :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I tried to home school my Daughter in 2nd grade and it is not easy. Really think hard at this before you make your final decision. I regret it because my daughter fell behind a half a year and now she is behind in all her classes. She was miserable being at home and having any friends and not having that contact of the other children is hard on them too.
    erotikrose

Answer by erotikrose at 12:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I was home-schooled and I loved it. Much better than public school. Not only did I have just as many friends as kids in public school but I also graduated early and started college at 17.
    alicia.b21

Comment by alicia.b21 (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• what, specifically, are his objections? what are your local schools like?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Let him know that there are homeschool groups that provide support, field trip opportunities and the ever popular socialization (which is usually the first objection that comes up instead of education.) Meet up with a homeschool group and encourage him to meet them. Also, tell him you could go for it on a trial basis. Say, homeschool for one year and then evaluate. Did everyone like it? ARe the kids on level? Do we want to do this again? Good luck!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Discuss why he is against it. Also know that is full committment. You have to submit lesson plans to the state, etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Discuss with him why this would be the best thing for your child and maybe have some back up from other home school moms, I dont think homeschooling is a bad thing if you keep him up on his work, they say home schooled kids are even smarter than public schooled kids. I believe this because kids these days use the calculater and computer all the time they can't even do fractions or multiplication without a calculater or computer, not like when we grew up. Also alot of churches offer social activites so kids can stay involved in sports and with friends etc.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

Next question in
Is anyone here going back to college?

Next question overall (Health)
Eating Disorder adult content