Carpenter bees

Anyone know the best way to get rid of these things? We'll call an exterminator when we can afford it and now with the weather getting cold they aren't a problem, but I know they'll be back. I've googled it to death and I've only found a bunch of suggestions on pricey pesticides to use. I think it's worth it and don't mind buying that stuff -but again ..we're very poor and have to budget carefully. Is there a way to get rid of them on a tight budget?

Dakshayani

Asked by Dakshayani at 5:04 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Like you said, in the colder months they aren't active, so now is the time (once it is cold, and has been for a while), to go and physically remove the next. This way, the queen is gone and she can't start a new one later. We usually burn the nests.

Once the nests are gone, you want to keep them from coming back. Carpenter bees only burrow in bare wood. So anywhere you have bare wood needs to be stained or painted. This is pretty cheap - hopefully you don't have too much that needs to be painted.

Removing the beeswould be better for your house since the hole can invite others like insects to live there and they encourage water that can be destructive. BUT the bees rarely sting, so it really isn' a safety issue unless someone is allergic to them.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 6:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Find the nest and douse them with gasoline.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 5:29 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• We used Raid. You don't need much if you can see where they come and go.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2010