How do you teach your child to not worry about people laughing at them or their cloths?

He is 7 and let me be REAL clear, he is not being made fun of really....what I mean is like this morning...I had this new shirt for him to wear....it had two eggs on it with faces...one of the eggs had fell on the ground and was broken...so the other two eggs were crying.

A silly funny shirt for a boy....he was worried people would laugh at him for the shirt...UGGGG

He is not really getting made fun of, just worried about cloths choices...when to me they are normal....I dont make him wear a vest and tie or anything .....lol.

He did it the other day for Halloween dress up day...was worried people would laugh at him being dressed up....I told him everyone else in his class would be dressed up too...what was he worried about...

How can I teach and show him not to be so worried about this type stuff...I want him to be confident and proud....and not care what others think.

I thought I was teaching him this for 7 years??!!!

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 7:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Concentrate on making him self-confident in other areas so that he is not so dependent on the opinions of his peers--not just about clothes, but about everything. When he does something, tell him how proud you are of him that he figured it out for himself. That sort of thing will make him so confident of himself that he will we able to wear anything he wants and not give a hoot what anybody else thinks about it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:01 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Personally, I think you should just dress him in clothes that won't get him made fun of. Kids can be cruel. It's impossible for a child not to pay attention to that. In my opinion, his confidence will be far more affected by be made fun and he will end up caring more about what people think later on.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 8:04 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Let him help pick out what you buy. He might feel more comfortable this way.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:07 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I think you should just dress him in clothes that won't get him made fun of.

Thats the thing though...these are not horrible cloths, they are just t-shirts with a funny picture on the front...like tons of other kids wear...he is worried they will laugh at the joke on the front....not him....

I think its a huge difference between that and kids laughing b/c he has on clown cloths....

I dress him totally normal....nothing outrageous.....he seems to have unrealistic expectations of what his friends will do....

I just asked him...have you ever laughed at another friends shirt...he said no...I said so why would they laugh at you....he said b/c the shirt is funny....I said "yes, the shirt has a joke on it...it is funny"

I think that is different.
    mom2twobabes

Comment by mom2twobabes (original poster) at 8:09 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• At 7, you should let him pick what he wants to wear, it gives them a sense of independence that you want to instill in them, take him shopping with you or ask before you buy, it shows him he has a choice and this way if he picks it he will feel more assertive.

Answer by older at 8:24 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I agree with Older. My son at 4.5 years old is turning out like my dh and I...we really do not care what people think of us.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:22 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I agree with the others to let him pick out his clothes. Since my children were young they have picked out their clothes, starting with toddler stage when I'd offer to choices to about 6 or 7 when they started shopping with me to pick out their clothes. It builds independance and allows them to begin to explore they our personality and uniqueness. One of my boys likes to wear those funny shirts sometimes, my other son wouldn't be caught dead in one he prefers to dress more "preppy" . They are each unique and have their own style. While I think you're son realizes the children are laughing at the shirt, it sounds like he is simply not comfortable wearing it to school. I'd continue to build self confidence in other ways, let him start to have some independence in the choices, you might be surprised what he comes up with. My neice where snowboots and skirts together to school for a year but wouldn't wear jeans.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I say be an example (not that you arent already). For one day try wearing something that is totally funky, and go out in public as normal. Let him see how YOU respond to others opinion about YOUR appearance.

Another thing you can do is to remind him that different ppl laugh at different things, and that you cant be cool unless you take a risk and try something different.
    Good luck!
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2010