Christmas

Am I the only one dreading Christmas? When you are worried about buying your kids presents. Will you be able to get them enough. It is hard to be able to remember the true meaning behind Christmas. Anyone else agree?

arenad

Asked by arenad at 8:22 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• If you dread Christmas because of what you mentioned, you have made it a financial burden instead of a happy occasion, giving does not always mean material things...........................................children are happy with any inexpensive gift you can muster.

Answer by older at 8:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• as a Catholic, we celebrate Christmas for what t truely is, we volunteer at shelters, buy gifts for the poor, and we go tochurch. We have a nativity, and we read about the birth of Christ, and tell the true story of St. Nicholas! It is VERY important to us that our children understand about the true meaning of christmas, and advent!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:28 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• we are very diligent about holidays. we have 4 kids, and 1 on the way, and the smartest thing to do is to start shopping in Sptember. We get paid every 2 weeks ( military) and we spend 150.00 a pay day, so 300.00 a month up until dec. 15th. Plus I shop thruout the year! You have to prepare in advance and be responsible!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:27 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• We only buy what we can afford. The kids will understand; they always do.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 8:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• As far as the tru emeaning, that is free. :) I always make sure I explaint he true meaning behind things to my children so that they have that knowledge and happiness in what the holiday stands for. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:11 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I have declared a moritorium on Christmas stress! We have agreed that the only ones getting gifts this year are the two boys ages 4 and 5. My older kids have some money saved and they are doing whatever they want with it..buy gifts for friends etc. We all decided that we will enjoy the decorating, the music, the baking, and going to church rather than all the comercial stress put on this holiday.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i dont worry about explaining true meanings of holidays to them. and honestly if it were just me i probably wouldnt even celebrate xmas. i do worry about getting them stuff. but we always seem to manage to get them a few things...
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 8:25 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I used to, then this year I really put my mind to it and started grabbing things as I saw them at yard sales, on sale, in stores when I have the extra cash on hand and the kids go hog wild over it (and it's something I know they will love for a while), etc. I am so excited over it now that I am dieing to give them the things I already have! lol :)

Shopping ahead by months at a time has really helped us a lot. And it feels much more inexpensive because I am paying less to buy things when I catch then throughout the year. I have started this same plan with birthdays now as well. My younger daughter turns four in about 6 months so I am watching out for Elmo birthday supplies and such for her now to go ahead and get them so she can have the theme she wants. :)

You can also start a savings account and put $5+ in it ever pay perios to start the holiday funds and releive some of the last minute burden. :)

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:10 AM on Nov. 3, 2010