Should I follow my heart or just do what my friends and family is telling me to do?

You know how you bring your relationship problems to your close friends and family members, well I did recently and they all are saying the same thing Let it go and move on!. It is always so much easier for somebody else to tell you to let something go when they are not in that situation. I don't want to let go and I feel like I'm going to be judgedby my friends and family if I continue to deal with the guy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• Follow your heart...but I also don't know what he did. If he abused you or was verbally abusive to you...then yes, leave him. If not then take this as a lesson learned...keep your personal relationship PERSONAL. Especially don't tell family the nitty gritty details of your relationship.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:56 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• lots of times when you in a bad relationship its just hard to get out and do what you have to do. Sometimes it even hard to see how bad it really is. Well listen to the people who you know will give you good advise.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Agree with Worried Mommy. If the guy is emotionally or physically abusing you and not valuing you for your worth.. which is pretty high :) then leave him.. but if he is just not up to the standard or friends and family and he genuinely makes you happy then follow you heart.
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 8:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• In the end, you have to live with your decision, not them. Even though I think advice from others can be helpful, it shouldn't be the be all, end all in your decision. If you get looks from your fam and friends if you stay with the guy, then just explain how you feel to them. Although it might be tricky if you decide to stay with him, I can see your friends and family losing patience if you continue to vent to them. You might not be able to vent to them as much as you do now about him. Good luck!
    jacksmom1225

Answer by jacksmom1225 at 8:59 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Follow your heart... The more you ask, the more unwanted answers you may have

Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 9:24 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Your friend and family give advise because they love you and don't want to see get hurt.They all so don't have to live with your choice.If you don't want to give up the guy, then you do what you think is right for you.When you tell your friends and family the bad thinks that happen then they wont like him.So you might want to stop telling them if you are going to stay with this guy.I don't no what is going on,but I hope everything works out,good luck.
    bucky77

Answer by bucky77 at 9:35 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I have been in this situation more than once with family and friends judging my husband. He has brought many times alot of negativity into the relationship. But it also takes two. I firmly believe you have to do what your heart tells you and if you are not ready to end it, they should all respect your decision and be there for you either way. Sometimes people turn it around, its too bad though that the closest people in our lives remain so judgemental. You may learn its all a mistake or he may turn into the best guy for you, so take the chance.. life is short!
    anitaw18

Answer by anitaw18 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I say follow your heart.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I say follow your heart, and stop airing your relationship problems to people that you are then going to feel embarrassed about or judged because of. I understand needing to talk to someone about things, but it sounds like you are telling all your personal business to a lot of different people and that's probably not going to help your marriage. I have a couple of close trusted friends that I can talk to if my husband is being an ass or I am having problems that I know aren't going to think less of either of us because of anything. Those are the only people i talk to about my marriage issues.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• it depends on what he did but no matter what if they love you which im sure your family does and if your friends are true friends they will love you either way i would follow my heart and it will lead you to the best decision hopefully good luck
    19withtwins

Answer by 19withtwins at 9:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2010