Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If a relative posted a video of you with your child on a social network site without your permission (or your husband's), what would you do?

It was in a Halloween parade. Knew we were being filmed, NOT that it would be on social network site.

Answer Question

Asked by Lakataka at 9:08 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • Ask her to remove it. Especially if you are not members of the site.

    Answer by mamaada at 9:10 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • Do you have a problem with it being there. If you do have her remove it. I doubt that she meant any harm. Let your family know that you do not want things out there if that is the case.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 9:10 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • uhhh i would do nothing...

    Answer by hotmama83227 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • Personally, I don't think I'd mind if it was something as innocent as a Halloween parade. But if it bothers you, send your relative a nice message and explain your concerns and perhaps he or she will take the video down. Also, if there is a link showing that your profile is one in the video, you can remove the link. I did that with a few pictures that one of my relatives posted of my kids because her page is not set to private.

    Answer by vicesix at 9:11 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • Thanks ladies!! We are members of the site, which I would not have known about video if I wasn't a member and alerted by an e-mail to our account.

    Comment by Lakataka (original poster) at 9:12 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • Probably nothing. I don't thnk I would usually mind if it was family or a close friend. I might ask that they make sure they have their privacy settings on 'friends only' though. Any picture or video I post would have those settings, so I would ask them to do the same so it's not completely public (even if there are some people I don't know on their friend list seeing it). If there was something unflattering about the video, then maybe I would ask them to take it down. Depends on the video, I guess.

    Answer by pam19 at 9:28 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • I had a relative post 2 holiday pictures of my child (and try to sell them- both things were without my consent) and I emailed the person and said "I did not give permission for you to post my child's picture (or sell it), I want it removed from this site". The person did remove it.

    Answer by MizLee at 9:35 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • If you have an issue with it, then ask her to take it down.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:05 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • I have people do that to me and it does bother me but not enough to say something. But if you don't want them posted you have to tell them. And then in the future when you are sharing your vidoes with them, ask them ahead of time not to post it up on anything.

    Answer by mlmsm928 at 10:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • Ask what her privcay settings are. She may have it to where only her friends can view it. If it bothers you it is your right to ask her to remove it.

    Answer by Memigen at 12:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.