Ever have this happen?

1. want to ask somebody a question but are afraid they are going to give you a 10-minute answer, so you keep quiet (but really really want to talk about it)

or

2. Want to get stuff done really fast before a certain person has a chance to start talking about a topic that you know from experience could go on for a looooong time and you can't concentrate on what you were doing?

I have a very dear friend I love dearly and she's compassionate and loving and someone you can count on, however she's a bit of a talker and doesn't realize often how long she's going on and on and has lost her audience. I joke with her about it without sounding judgy (because she's oversensitive about being ridiculed) but I don't think she can stop it. Its a part of who she is.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 9:19 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• awww Zoey, where do you live? I won't talk your ear off! I'm always the one listneing...OK, OK...if i am a few drinks down, i might talk your ear off....but i might make you laugh too!

I would not know how to say something without hurting her feelings. Maybe..."can you email me all this, so i can read it when i have time" ehh...maybe that sounds rude. Or, maybe you can joke with her & ask how many redbull's she drank today. You can't just tell your friend they tak to much...that would hurt her feelings. I'm going to have to think about this one. Gosh...i hate having to avoid people in fear of a long conversation....totally been there in my work office days...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:00 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yeah there are a few people that come to mind.. my mother being the biggest culprit.. when she talks she talks at you and doenst even realise shes rambling.. i ask her a question and she ignores it.. not intentionally i guess because shes so caught up on what she has to say or whatever she disregards it lol. if you can deal with it let it go or like me i just say to her hey hey hey.. stop .. your going on for ever.. what is it you want to say and spit it out! lol of course shes not sensitive and she gets to the point then.. she just loves hearing her own voice.. years of being a radio jockey plays its part.. and having followed in her footsteps for about 5 years i can be a talker too.. ( see the text i have just written :) ).. goodluck
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 9:25 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• just makes me wish I had more friends I could talk to, but I don't. You live with what you have available.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 9:24 AM on Nov. 3, 2010