How can I get my 4 week old to eat more each feeding? She is generally up to 3 1/2 ounces every 2 1/2-3 hours when she is hungry but during the day she tends to fall asleep mid-feed and only gets about half of that. Consequently, she wakes up much sooner and cries terribly because she is hungry. I'm worried it's creating a bad cycle of her "snack feeding" and eating more often. Any advice?

hg216

Asked by hg216 at 9:22 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try to keep her awake during her feedings. Smile with her and talk to her. Try to "play" with her. Something to keep her interested. See if you can sit her up a bit more, instead of slightly laying down in your arms. It's harder for them to fall asleep sitting up. :) And what you're going through is normal. It's frustrating, but have patience.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 9:24 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• um..... from what i understand, they are SUPPOSED to be eating less, and more often. look at her little fist. thats the size of her tummy. just let her wake up and tell you when she hungry, then you can try again.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 9:26 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• You should be feeding "on demand" anyway... When she demands it, you feed her... Also listen to gracefulsky, she's right...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• if you know how much she eats and how often she gets up and have a bottle ready for when does wake sooner. i spent weeks before i figured this out with #2 waking my bf up all the time when he had to work the next day. #2 is 7mon goes to bed with a 6oz bottle and every night i have 2 -6oz bottles in her crib cause i know she will wake for those.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 9:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I did not feed "on demand" entirely. I had a flexible schedule for their feedings. I made sure they got a full feeding at each nursing session. I would take off their diaper, their clothes, stroke their faces, etc. Sometimes I would change their diaper midway through to thoroughly wake them up. Mine ate about every 3 hours during the day, longer at night.

Answer by missanc at 9:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• if u feel she's not getting enough to eat, then u have to keep her awake during the feedings. i used to undress my son when he was eating if he fell asleep and he'd eat and then sleep longer thru the night
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Strip her down to just her diaper or even naked. Being cold will keep her awake. Hold her on your knee with one hand supporting her and feed her. Try to keep talking to her, singing to her, or just simply looking at her to keep her awake. This is what I had to do with my son while we were trying to breastfeed. He'd fall asleep within seconds every feeding.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:59 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Good Luck, I always struggled with that!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 10:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Try to keep her awake and stimulated during her feeding. I used to keep a wipe beside me for my son and when he would start to doze off (after a few sucks he would be ready to zonk, lol) I would gently wipe his face and he would wake up and stop eating. Although he would only eat about two ounces and then sleep for a few hours and then eat again as your daughter is doing, but now he is 7 months and sleeps 5+ hours between feedings and eats around 5-8 ounces per feeding. I still let him decide how much he wants. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:55 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• "#2 is 7mon goes to bed with a 6oz bottle and every night i have 2 -6oz bottles in her crib cause i know she will wake for those."

I wouldn't leave the bottles out though, unless you have them in a container that you can chill them or something safe. Formula is only good for one hour.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2010