I heard you should never wake up a newborn at night when they are asleep (they will wake up when they need to be fed) but is the same true for daytime?

hg216

Asked by hg216 at 9:29 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think so. If you want your baby to sleep longer at night, wake him/her up more frequently during the day. Took me three kids to figure that out. Never let your baby sleep longer than three hours at a time during the day. You'll be up all night.
    h31ga

Answer by h31ga at 9:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I agree, I wake them up during the day and let them sleep at night.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• it really depends on you i did not and wont with #3 when my kids woke is when i fed them. but it really depends on you and the child.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 9:44 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I woke all 5 of mine at least every 3 hours during the day to nurse. They all slept through the night long and early!

Answer by missanc at 9:47 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• unless you want to be up all night with the baby, then wake them up every 2-3 hours for feeding and some interaction.
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 9:55 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• During the day you want to wake the baby more often, because you want to allow them to be active during the day. This will help them sleep longer at night. The more active they are during the day, the more they'll sleep during the night.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I really can't beleive there are so many people that say to wake a newborn. I just would never unless the baby was underweight. Newborns should be sleeping all day and night. because they sleep all day doesn't mean they are not going to sleep at night. In another couple of months the baby will be awake more often. But if you are not sure see what your doctor says.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 10:45 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Wake them up...even though my son was just a couple weeks old I would wake him up, feed and try to stimulate him so that he would sleep longer through the night. Now he's an active 7.5 month old!!!!
    trublonde130

Answer by trublonde130 at 10:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I always just let my baby wake me when they were hungry. And trust me... they had NO issues with waking me! lol

I see no reason to wake them up and make them eat. If they're hungry they'll wake up. Now if you're just worried they need to be eating on a regular two or so hour schedule, then speak to the pediatrician and see what they say. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• , it is the natural way, you can't go wrong :)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 4:14 AM on Nov. 4, 2010