what would you do if your 8yr old son's teacher told you that 2 boys came to her and told her that your son had said some cuss words in the boys bathroom?

what sort of disipline (if any) do you feel would be appropriate?

hotmama83227

Asked by hotmama83227 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would say since you didn't witness the event itself and are only relying on the spoken word of two peers, I would talk to the class at whole without pointing fingers, and gently (or firmly I guess) remind everyone that using cuss words is wrong no matter where you are, and it is not allowed anywhere in the school building.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I would first ask my son. It was probably nothing that terrible. Unless you hear him talking like this at home, then I wouldn't believe it. If it were my kid, I'd say "No, my son doesn't talk like that"!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:34 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I would talk to my son and discuss why he should not cuss.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:37 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I apologize, I realize I answered as if you were the teacher. I would speak to my son (depending on which son of mine it was, he would probably deny any wrongdoing no matter what), and just explain to him that a little bird told me there was some cussing in the bathroom at school. I wouldn't tell him who said what. I would explain that cussing is wrong, whether he did it or someone else did it, and reinforce the fact that I wouldn't want to hear that my son was speaking like that. I would take the opportunity to plant the seed that I find out what happens at school, so don't try to get away with stuff.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Hearsay? I'd talk to my kid about how some people get upset about certain words, and it's better to avoid them in mixed company.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:41 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• well, i have never heard a single bad word come out of his mouth. but i asked him and he didnt even try to hide it from me. but i highly doubt these other boys had NOTHING AT ALL to do with it.... but thats not my problem...i guess...i did talk to him about it though. sternly...ish
    hotmama83227

Comment by hotmama83227 (original poster) at 9:44 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I learned the hard way to never say never. At this point, I would just talk to your son about appropriate language. Make sure he knows where you stand on it & the consequences if he uses bad language. I would NOT dole out punishment for this, but I would use the opportunity to discuss it with him.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 9:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Well I would talk to my child and find out if he did indeed say the words, or if the other kids were lying to get my son in trouble. I would let my son know that I heard there was cussing in the boys bathroom- and then let him fill me in on what happened. If he says he did not cuss (and he does not use those words at home) and you believe he did not cuss then I would let it go with a "I did not think you did it, but I wanted to talk to you about it anyway". If he does have a history of using cuss words then I would be a bit stern and talk to him about cussing, using appropriate words and such and he could have consequences at home for his actions.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• First of all I would talk to him about it. Get his side of the story. Then if he admits to it I would follow through with diciplinary action. If he doesn't admit to it then there's not much I can to. For the simple fact that it was hearsay and there's no proof that he did or didn't. Therefore, I would talk to him about the use of bad words and their inappropriatness, etc.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:56 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I'm not about to take the word of 2 tattletales for fact. If the words were in a conversation,I'm willing to just blow it off. Its just male bravado. If he was swearing AT someone,that's a different matter. We'd have a discussion,but I'm not going to punish him

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 3, 2010