Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

can there be restrictions put on visitation with the father not to allow his significant other to be around?

My husband and I have had a rough road the last couple years. My kids have suffered enough. At this point, I have not contacted a lawyer yet and cant really afford to. My husband just moved out 2 and a half weeks ago with another woman who has three children and no job. Being that him and I have been together for 10 years, I have access to inside info and have found that the lifestyle over there is a big party and I dont want my kids around that. Is there any way in visitation to restrict both of us from not allowing any signifant others to be there when he visits with them? I just dont think they need any more emotional stress and I dont want them in any danger...

Answer Question

Asked by anitaw18 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Relationships

Level 2 (8 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • yes you can. my aunt made it so my uncle couldn't have their daughter around his gf. the only remedy to that is for your ex to marry, then you have no legal standing to say his SO can't be around the kids.

    Answer by mhaney03 at 9:35 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • You have to show "just cause" that it's not safe and that there is something really wrong with that women. Hard proof not hear say or what you think is going on there.

    Answer by BobbieJo286 at 9:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • Depends on what state you live in I suppose, but yes, through the court system if you can prove that there is significant enough mental or physical danger to your kids by being exposed to the significant other, they will provide through an order that no third party is to be present. Make sure you keep notes on things so that you can back up what you say. At this point your husband should possibly put his own feelings and needs aside and focus on his kids, which would mean visits with himself only. Blending a family is complicated enough, but doing it so quickly is just not good for his own relationship with his children I fear.

    Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • First let me say that you can get a lawyer from the court to help you through this. Talk with the court and see about getting fees waved and having a court lawyer appointed to help you. That way you can have a legal side to this without paying out the wazoo.

    Then, the only way that the court can restrict the S/O is if they are as well seen as unfit. If you both agree to that matter then the court may go ahead and grant that. However, there's no garuntee either way that they'll agree to that.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:55 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • Yes, you have to prove that the SO is not a person not in the childs best interest to be around. Pull criminal records, DCS records, even driving records can prevent her from driving them place. If there is no ammo in any of that then have the courts send over a custody evaluator, where the person checks out the enviroment and makes a report (be aware they will check you also). If the life over there is just a big party and you believe there is drug use involved you can request a hair folicle test on him and "anybody that resides with him". Put in the papers for him to be liable for the costs of such test. I actually talked to a lawyer last month and these were his suggestions. Good Luck!

    Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 2:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • As the other moms have said, you would have to prove that there are reasons for her not to be around the kids because of their best interests and that it's not just about you don't like her.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 3:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.