When your newborn wakes up crying and is ready to eat, should you feed first, check/change diaper later or vice versa? I want to calm her down as quickly as possible but don't know which is better...

hg216

Asked by hg216 at 9:35 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If the diaper seems really wet and uncomfortable, change first.. If not, feed then change.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:37 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• When my baby boy was in infant I would pick him up and console him that way first. He would typically calm down a little. I would then try to always check/change his diaper first so that when he was finished eating he could easily slip back off to sleep. If he was entirely too upset and thought he was absolutely starving to death (lol) I would feed him and then /checkchange him... but I always tried to change/check him first. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:39 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yeah, if she's poopy or really soaked, change first, otherwise go for feeding.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:40 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Unless it's a stinky diaper, I would feed then change.
    NewMommie333

Answer by NewMommie333 at 9:40 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I always change the diaper then feed because the feeding generally puts them back to sleep (and changing the diaper after would wake them back up!)
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:40 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i agree check the diaper first and keep a pacey nearby in case you do need to change a poopy or really wet diaper first, but if you can get buy with feeding first then do it. you could even get by with feeding 1-2 oz burp change then go back to feed if the baby is still hungry, but only if the diaper does not need changed right away.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 9:42 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Quickly change diaper, then feed so that when she is fed she is completely comfortable and relaxed.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:44 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I generally would take my baby's diaper and clothes off and feed them skin to skin if I had the time simply because I loved the feel of them against me. I didn't nurse my babies to sleep so them waking up after feeding wasn't a problem so I would put a dry diaper and clothes on after feeding

Answer by missanc at 9:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Personally, even if he's screaming I think it's best to change them first. That way when you're feeding them they can go right back to sleep. Otherwise they might wake up during the changing and be up for hours.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:53 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• my son when he was a newborn was hungry 24/7 - even if he had a poopy diaper or extremely wet diaper and I went to change him first, he would freak out and scream bloody murder the entire time. try to feed them first and then change.
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 3, 2010