How do you teach your child COPING SKILLS?

ANGER?
SELF ESTEEM?
ETC.. HOW DO YOU ADEQUATELY TEACH THAT?

MAKEMYDAY101

Asked by MAKEMYDAY101 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son at age 6 was very easily angered to the point where I finally asked the doctor what to do about it. He would get angry over silly things such as he "can't draw things" and would rip the paper and cry and stomp around like a crazy boy! My doctor taught him how to do the "crazy eight". Where he walks around doing an eight shape till he calms down, or count to ten till calm again. Or writing down his feelings and talking about it.
    My other son who is 10, cute, smart and really kind. But at times walks around with his head down, mooping. We taught him to look people in the eye when talking to them, walk with his head up and be confident!
    Sorry to blab...just sharing from expierience.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:45 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Good examples!! Children learn by seeing others... mainly parents how to act.. If you show them what is expected of them or how they show handle a certain situation then they will be able to remember how to handle future situations. I guess it does depend on the age as well.
    NewMommie333

Answer by NewMommie333 at 9:47 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• By example is the best way. It doesn't hurt to sit down and discuss these subjects either, but I believe that the greatest influence we have in our children's lives is setting an example.

fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Good examples. Always lead by example when teaching a child something. That's the best way.
    The second is to show them how they can impliment those skills. Like with self esteem you do it through praise of their good work, good behavior, and as well as complimenting them personally. With anger you have to show them other ways to release their anger outside of yelling or becoming violent. My mom told me she had to teach my sister to punch her pillow, because otherwise she'd throw things or hit someone. (This was when she was a toddler) Redirecting their anger, especially with a creative outlet, can be very easy to teach if you stick to it. Just be consistant with them and keep reassuring them their choices of how to be better and work through it properly. Then lead by example.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My oldest is like me and gets easily frustrated if she can't do something. I've always been that way so I understand where she is coming from. I always tell her, "Just calm down baby and take it slow. You can try again as many times as you need to and it will be okay. Things are learned. Some things are harder to learn than others. Just take your time." She usually calms down for me, but if she gets too frustrated to keep going with what she's doing then I have her do something else until she's ready to try again. I use the same tactic with my younger daughter as well because she gets mad and just drops to the floor and hides her face and doesn't want anything to do with anyone, but I typically just tell her, "You need to get off the floor, calm down and try again." Then follow with what I tell her sister. Sometimes with her though we have to count to 3 to calm her down.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:02 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• my son is almost 3 and he gets easily frustrated doing almost everything just like his daddy.. even putting on his shoes brings him to tears and frustration. hard for me to watch as I can't relate but I have him take deep breaths and We say "all you have to do is TRY TRY TRY' and he has to take deep breaths..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I agree we teach through example and through support and praise...tell them you love them, tell them they are beautiful or handsome the way they are, tell them when they do something well, allow them to fail and succeed. Allow them some independence to build confidence in themselves, simple things like hair styles, clothes, food choices. Show them respect as well as others, so they learn how to respect others and that they are also deserving of having that respect returned. All those things help build self esteem and self confidence and talk to them about real life experiences.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2010