ceiling fans, how often do you get up there and clean them if you have them? i hate ceiling fans for this reason....gah!

hotmama83227

Asked by hotmama83227 at 9:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Never! I have a cleaning thing that's a brush on a wand to clean the fans. I'm afraid of heights.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• When I look and see dust hanging! lol. My kitchen one gets cleaned more often because that dust get caked on. Eww, thanks for the reminder!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I hate to say this, but when the weather starts changing. Sometimes they are on and sometimes off. Then you actually see the blades not moving. Thats when you can really see the filth. Honestly I can't think about it at other times. Even when I am cleaning, ceiling fans don't come to mind.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Honestly, only whenever I happen to notice they need cleaned. The one in the kitchen is the only one I clean regularly like clockwork every week because, naturally, it gets the dirtiest (it's also the easiest one for me to reach b/c the kitchen ceiling is very low). The rest of them require a ladder for me to reach and I tend to forget about them until they are so dirty it's embarrassing, which is when I'll finally notice they really need a good scrubbing. I'm trying to be better about keeping them clean, though, and add them into my weekly cleaning rituals.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:53 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i do mine maybe 3-4 times a year with the seasons i think. hate it and try to make hubby do it for me. i love the tgwo fans we have for circulation on a hot day but hate the dust and look of them.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Use that Swiffer 360 and it is not such a pain to keep up with.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i clean them every day with a duster that reach up there
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 1:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I clean them thoroughly at least once a year - usually in the spring prior to the summer heat wave.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• at least once a month when we have them on. Not so much in the winter. I use Purple Magic on them so the dust doesn't build up as much.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:07 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• get a good duster with an extension rod, i do them once a week and whenever a lightbulb needs changed, it's easy. Googling purple magic motherofhope98, thanks for the tip.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:57 AM on Nov. 4, 2010