I know every baby is different but generally speaking, when do newborns start sleeping for longer periods of time at night? Ours is 4 weeks old and she doesn't go more than 2 1/2 hours...I know I have big expectations of her sleeping sooner than later but I just need to know a rough time period so I can look forward to that soon!

hg216

Asked by hg216 at 9:47 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honey, you'll be up all night every 2-3 hours till atleast 4 months! Hang in there.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:48 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My niece is 2 and doesn't sleep for more than 4 hours at a time.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• well, like you said, every baby is different. my coworkers daughters (both of them) were sleeping thru the night at 4 weeks each. my son was 12 weeks. and like others posted, they have older kids and they're still not sleeping thru. everyone's different.
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 9:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes each baby is different. My first was 6t weeks old and she would sleep for 6 hour stretches(she was breast feed baby). My second it took her longer. She was also a breast feed baby. It was not till she was over ayer old that she woudl sleep 6 hour stretches.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• All 5 of mine were sleeping at least 8 hours at night by 2 months. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 9:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• All of mine started around 6-8 months.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:53 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• They're definitely all different, but in our case around 2-3 months he started sleeping long enough most nights that I could get into a deep sleep state at least once a night. He was usually sleeping for at least 4-5 hours a night. Shortly after he started sleeping closer to 8 hours a night, but then he started getting teeth in, and we were back to waking up a lot in the middle of the night. For several months, it was typical for him to sleep from 10pm-2am and then again from 2am (or 3)-8am. After 6 months, he had some nights of 10-11 hrs of sleep, but there was no guarantee that he would sleep through, especially if he was teething, having reflux problems, or congested.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Mine were down to waking 1-2 times a night by 3 months. Unfortunately, none of them slept through before a year.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:22 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I'd say in the next month or so.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My son sleep through the night for the 1st time when he was 6 days old and has been sleeping through the night since he was exactly 2 months old.
    My doctor told me that they usually don't get a sleeping pattern down until they are about 2 months.
    trublonde130

Answer by trublonde130 at 10:47 AM on Nov. 3, 2010