How can I get my 15 month old to start sitting??!

We'll the problem is she is 15 months old and still cannot walk or crawl, but if she is in her walker she will push her self all over the living room and what not. When she tries to crawl, she kinda just pushes with her legs but cant quite get the idea. But i will say that she can roll!! she will be in the living room one moment then the next she'll be in the kitchen or dining room and shes smart. Maybe when she was born b/c she had strep-B and she had calcium deposits growing on her brain, but the doctor told us that these problems should not affect her growing. And she was only in the hospital for the first 2 weeks, so I'm not sure what the problem is here. I heard of baby's cant wait, but i was told that she has to be under 1 years old.....If anyone can help me with this or has had this same or similar problem..please i need your advice! And she still cannot sit on her bottom!

KayleighsMom08

Asked by KayleighsMom08 at 9:23 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Id only worry if the doctor says its an issue. My MIL told me that she didnt start walking until 18mths and shes fine! I would just work with her more. GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• That very late to be sitting up. All four of mine were sitting up by 7 months and I think that is just average. Most are walking by 12 months. I would take him to the doctor have him checked out for a developmental delay.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 9:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I would definitely take her to the Dr,I've never heard of a baby not being able to sit up at by 15 months old,walking yeah,but not sitting up.I don't mean to scare you,But has her peditrition not said anything at her check ups?
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Yea our doctors said she may be a few months behind, she did have like 5 spinal taps when she was born, 2 MRIs and 2 cat scans...so i dont know if all this affects her growth....
    KayleighsMom08

Answer by KayleighsMom08 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My son was 11 weeks early and receive a referral to Baby's Can't Wait at 20 months old. I go to Backus ChildrenHospital. I had considers about his fine motor skills and speech and the doctor agree to have him evaluate and he was accepted and receiving excellent teaching. I thought something was wrong also with my child and discover I did not give him much credit. I think you should try the program. They help you learn how to relate more with your child.
    kanemylove2228

Answer by kanemylove2228 at 11:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I would share your concerns with your daughters peditrician and get her referal for occupational / physical therapy assesment. I would just work with her daily on sitting up. Place toys in front of her that encourage sitting....maybe a mirror. Maybe google ways to help baby sit / crawl. Good luck to you.
    mommy_2_Hayden

Answer by mommy_2_Hayden at 1:49 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• a bumbo chair really helped mine sit, she couldn't sit til 8 monts, crawled at 10 months, walked at 15 ish. barely. she still hardly talks and she's 2 1/2. oh mine was a roller too! she'll learn!
    marilyn623

Answer by marilyn623 at 3:43 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• yea i tried the bumbo seat and then she got too big for it, so was thinking of getting a boppy cusion thing since she still cant sit on her bottom without me holding her.
    KayleighsMom08

Answer by KayleighsMom08 at 3:55 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I would also take her to the doc and get her tested for delays... I have never heard of a 15 month old not being able to sit. Maybe the spinal has something to do with it, I would be concerned at this point if she can't sit or crawl. A few months behind maybe but even at that, most babies are walking by 12 months. I'm not trying to sound mean, I'm more concerned I guess. I wish you luck! I hope your little one starts sitting up soon. :o)
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• My son was about 7 months when he started sitting independently and 11 months when he started walking. I would strongly suggest talking with your doctor and see what they say. Your doughter might be just fine, but it never hurts to ask. Good Luck =D
    Nora1

Answer by Nora1 at 10:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2008