Do you consider yourself an over-protective mom?

parenting

Monica655

Asked by Monica655 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am to an extent. When my oldest was a baby I was ridiculous...as he got older I let up. My younger son told me recently that his friends mother is way too protective and he never does anything. I said maybe I'm not protective enough to which he responded NO! You are just right.
    I give them boundaries, I meet parents, I call parents, I get cell phone numbers for their friends just in case...they have a lot of freedoms but with that still comes responsbility and accountability. As they continue to get older I continue to loosen the reigns a little bit, but I think I'll always be slightly over protective...Where are you going, whose going with you, when are your coming home, whose going to be there, what are the numbers I can reach you at....I don't think that will ever change. ;)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes I guess I am. I try not to be but then you hear more stories on the news of bad things happening to kids and people. I do require my children to let me meet their friends and if they want to go somewhere with them, I have to meet the parents too. My 16 yr old son sometimes finds this annoying but tough for him. lol He has to be where he says he is going, be with who he says he will be with and be available at all times on his cell. My 9yr old will have the same rules. He still gets to go and do so I don't think our rules will hurt him too much.
    Alamama

Answer by Alamama at 9:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I am. I'd rather be overprotective then not. We need to protect our children.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:01 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I used to be. But when your son is naturally independent...you learn to relax. Yes, there is bad things but I can't put him in a bubble. It is not healthy for him or me. (:
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:25 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• To a certain extent. I try so hard not to judge, because kids do crazy things, and say crazy things, and try crazy things, even for the best of parents. Today my DD's boyfriends mom is attending the funeral of a 14 month old boy who got out of the house and drowned in a pond. I cannot imagine! I just don't want to be mean about it and say they should have watched him better...no parent wants that to happen to their child. So very sad.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I very much am protective.. sometimes overboard although I am working on it but he's only 3 ...I know he will have a tighter leash than I did, that's forsure but I am trying not to hinder him from life or trying things either..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I agreed with all of you ladies!... I love my kids!, and yes sometimes they look at me as Are u serious? You want to meet my friends parents??? haaa-haaaa Where we live is really hot, so I always tell them, np if you want to invite your friends to the pool, or to watch a movie..On week-ends specially!... I love to bring them soft drinks & chips..while they are having fun!

Monica655

Comment by Monica655 (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't say I'm over-protective, but I have a terrible anxiety of letting her out of my site, even when among trusted friends and family.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2010