• In the Spotlight:

What age do you think is the best age for your child to have a Boyfriend / Girlfriend ?

My 14 year old step son, Has a girl friend. And I dont think he should have one. I think that he should be older. That school is more important. And since he has this girlfriend, He never gets any of his chores, Or even spends time with anyone, He is always on the phone. So what age do you think is the best age? And do you think he should be dating? His father said it is fine. I disagree.

MOMofTwo_99_00

Asked by MOMofTwo_99_00 at 9:27 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• to me it depends on the kid.. if they r doin what they should in school and at home with having a bf its ok.. if they r messin up in school and not doin right then no.. some kids r more mature at that age.. i think 13 and 14 is too young and 16 is a better age but kids r kids and they r goin to do it anyway.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Since the purpose of dating is to find a mate for marriage, I don't think they should date until they are in a position to be ready for marriage. At a bare minimum, I would say a senior in high school. I do not think any fourteen year old is ready to even think about such things.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:32 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Things have changed since the "dark ages". I'll let my boys start going on dates when they're 15 with group dates, and 16-17 on single dates on their own. I will step up and say if I feel his grades are lagging because of a girlfriend, and he gives up his friends/extracirricular activities...and will be that "mom" that puts a stop to it.
    meitaimom679

Answer by meitaimom679 at 12:32 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Dates -- When he is old enough to pay for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I had boyfriends in 1st grade. It really isn't about what they call each other it is more about what they are allowed to do. I would address the issue of being constantly on the phone and not even mention the girlfriend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:31 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I agree with NannyB -- the purpose of dating is to court for marriage. If he's not old enough to get married, or at least close to that age, he shouldn't be dating anyone.
    oh__you

Answer by oh__you at 12:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I dont think they should ever have one lol.But they do an will.As for dating in a group so long as no one touchs.lol.My 10yr old had her friend go to the haunted house with us an low an behold.They are never to young to touch.ALL hugged up.I said end of that.lol WHO really knows what is the right age.
    fearful5

Answer by fearful5 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I agree with NannyB. 16 is just about right heck I met my husband at age 16 and we have been together ever since goin on 11 yrs.
    Mother-of-4

Answer by Mother-of-4 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• It sounds like it is not the girlfriend that is the problem. Why is he not getting his chores done? You guys are still the parents, right? If he doesn't do his chores, he doesn't get to use the phone. Period. Why is this an option? As far as having a girlfriend, I don't have a problem with that.
    Crazy-Steph

Answer by Crazy-Steph at 12:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i think it depends on your kids, i had my first boyfriend at 13 and i got pregnant at 14 but i was like a mothers worst nightmare as a daughter. For our older boys they didn't start really dating until they were 14 but they had ' girlfriends ' since they started kindergarten.
    MOMMAof5_

Answer by MOMMAof5_ at 5:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2008