Double Ear Infection

My son has a double ear infection and sinus infection. He is 13 months old. He was prescribed antibiotics and has been on them for 5 days now. Lately he has just been screaming and bowing his back out. He crawls over to be picked up but then bows his back out and screams. Nothing I could do would console him he just cried. Finally after almost an hour he calmed down but was still very fussy. Is this normal?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would be calling the doc back. My youngest had ear infections one right after the other when he was younger like your son. The antibiotics usually seemed to work almost immediatly. After months and months of going back and forth to the doc for one infection after another, I got my doc to send my son to a ear throat and nose doc. He got tubes in his ears and finally got some relief! There is no need for a child to go through that kind of pain.
    Alamama

Answer by Alamama at 10:02 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I would call the doctor and tell them what is going on as that does not sound right. My boys have had double ear infections and usually by day 5 of meds my kids have felt better and were 'back to their usual selves' and did not have screaming, crying and being fussy. I hope they can find out what is causing your son pain, and he feels better soon!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:01 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Agree with pp - 5 days later he should be pretty much back to normal. When my oldest was a baby he had a double ear infection for several months straight while we tried numerous antibiotics, none of which worked and he ended up having to have a shot at the hospital to get rid of it.

Answer by missanc at 10:04 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• He is hurting. Did you Dr. give you anything to numb his ears? Are you giving him Advil? Did they give you a decongestant or are you giving him one with the antibiotic? If not call them and see if they can give you some. Ear infections hurt really bad...but after about 3 days of taking antibiotics it should be improving. Makes sure you are blowing his nose a lot or using a little sucker thing to get all that stuff out of his nose. Prop up his pillow too when you put him to bed so the mucus does not roll back into his ears. If you have some baby vapor rub..use that to help soothe his airways. Have him drink lots of clear fluids to keep it loose. I hope he feels better soon. :(
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:04 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Your lil one is in a lot of pain. have you tried alternating between tylenol and motrin every 2 hrs? My son is fixing to have tubes put in his ears from having multiple ear infections. He would throw massive fits when he had an ear infection...its not the childs behavior its b/c they are in so much pain. call your dr and talk about a possible referral to an ENT if your lil one has had more than 3 ear infections this year.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I would take him back to the doctor. Some times the antibiotics dont work and they need to give them more or something stronger. I would give him motrin or tylenol as well to help with the pain.
    NicoleAnn26

Answer by NicoleAnn26 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2010