Is Civility Really Gone ? a break from polotics !!

I think in some instances it is. I have held the door many times for people esp. when they have things in their arms most importantly MEN, and in one instance 2 doors in a row, and NOT one thank you. I teach my GR-Son when we are out to hold the door, or if some one does for him to say thank you and it is really upsetting when a rude adult just goes by and looks at him and says nothing. How the hell do you teach the youth when the adults are so RUDE? No wonder so many men don't want to hold the doors open, many times I guess their afraid they won't get that " thank you." I make sure I always give mine anyway.

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 10:02 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It is frustrating. Many people now use the excuse that they are busy and don't have time for that. When something like this happens, and the person doesn't say thank you, I nicely say "You're welcome", and smile sincerely. Usually they give me a dirty look, sometimes they say, oh, thank you, but either way, I feel I've taken the higher ground. And isn't it a pleasure when someone does say thank you, and lets you know they appreciate your courtesy? My husband, from New York, said he stopped opening doors for women during the equal rights time, because women would yell at him.Children learn by example, so in trying to be polite, don't let someone who is being rude, bring you down to being rude yourself. Realize that many adults have never been taught good manners. You are doing your grandchild a great service by teaching manners that were once expected and are now the exception. A person with good manners now will stand out.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:19 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My sister and I have discussed this same issue. Not only the door issue, but when they bump into you ... no "excuse me". I taught my son to open doors, when he could, and he would even try after he was wheelchair bound!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:10 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My daughters will hold doors open for grown men and they say nothing! That gets my blood boiling!
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:15 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My husband and sons open doors, not always my car door but I don't expect them to.

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 10:29 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My husband holds the door for me, and any other lady.

So does mine, and my 5 year old son!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:38 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• If I wanted to take a break from politics, I'd head over to one of the other thirty or so cafemom sections.

My husband holds the door for me, and any other lady.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:27 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I have found that men in particular have become very rude. One man let the door slam right in my face the other day and I was RIGHT BEHIND HIM! It's not like I was expecting him to wait while I waltzed across the parking lot to hold the door for me, I was literally two steps behind the guy. The door slammed shut right in my face (it was broken and didn't stay open unless someone holds it). I said something to the guy about people with poor manners.

I hold doors for people, but I don't expect someone to thank me. I mean, it's common courtesy to hold the door. Then again, it's common courtesy to say thank you too.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I live in Minnesota and I think that saying "Minnesota Nice" is true because we all have good manners and say Please and ThankYou. I';m sorry that your area of the country is rude.
    Another thing is that we smile at strangers wherever we go. But if I smile at strangers in NYC,for instance, they frown, It must be a regional thing.
    Too bad.....smiling and being polite makes ya feel good.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I dunno, everyone in our family holds doors for people for no reason at all, just because they are there. it comes naturally. But I do see your point. It goes way beyond holding doors.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Was it ever really here?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:23 AM on Nov. 3, 2010