Can Dr.s now restore sight to the blind?

For the first time, scientists have restored the ability of previously blind patients to recognize letters, fruit and other items using light-sensitive microchips implanted in the inner surface of the eye.

One patient was able to read the hands of a clock, discern seven shades of gray, find and identify tableware and combine the letters of the alphabet to form words.

The microchip is only approximately 3 millimeters by 3 millimeters in size, but is loaded with 1,500 light detectors that send a grid of electrical impulses through a patient's nerves to generate a 1,500-pixel image. The device is implanted under the retina, the inner lining of the eye unlike other implants that sit outside the retina and require users to wear an external camera. Since the chip requires a sharp image, the patients wear reading glasses

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh my heavens, how wonderful!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Already I've had a patient from the Netherlands, who is going to marry his girlfriend and had never seen her before, tell me he saw her laughing," Zrenner said. The patient, he added, could tell she was laughing from her white teeth.

_______________________________
    that's so good. Can you imagine, never having seen your S/O... I'm glad he still had something nice to say!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:53 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• That's cool!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• that's so good. Can you imagine, never having seen your S/O...I cant!

I'm glad he still had something nice to say! LOL

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• WOW!! I would LOVE for that to be an option for one of my blind students!! He's 10 years old, and was a premie. Technically he was not born blind, but the NICU infused too much oxygen into his incubator, which resulted in the blood vessels in his eyes to rupture. When the scabs healed his retinas became detached, and ended up completely blind.

I sincerely hope this becomes a feasible option soon, as his parents have been considering removal of his eyes, as they are becoming deeply set due to atrophy of the muscles/ligaments around his eye and are causing a great deal of pain. I don;t know if this technology, if successful would help to strengthen his eye muscles, but I know that if I were his parents I would be first in line to sign up for the procedure--I mean, what do you have to lose?!

I am going to print your article Sweets, and give it to his case manager.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I am going to print your article Sweets, and give it to his case manager.

Thats great, I hope it can help

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2010