I'm pregnant. Is it safe for me to own a cat?

My kids have been asking for a cat for months. My husband and I finally decided to get them one for Christmas. Then last week I found out I am pregnant. Do you think it would be a bad idea to get a cat now?

Mama2JoshKatie

Asked by Mama2JoshKatie at 10:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Just make sure he empties the litter box (toxoplasmosis).
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• It's fine. I had cats for all of my pregnancies. You shouldn't change the litter, and make sure he gets all his shots.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:53 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• its ok if you dont clean up the kitty litter or do any toilet cleaning..if you did then there are risks involved... I dont see why it would be a problem.. heaps of people have cats when their pregnant just dont do the toilet clean up
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 10:53 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes it's a possible virus in the cats fecal and urine, toxoplasmosis, that's dangerous, just have hubby scoop the litter box out and you're fine. I have and had 2 cats with my pregnancy with my daughter and 3 during my son!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes, as others have said, just have hubby do the litterbox - yay!!! However, now that I'm not pregnant I think he feels I owe him MANY litterbox changes in return.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I had my cat. I was fine make sure you have someone else clean the litter box, after you pet him/her wash your hands (litter transfers), make sure they are declawed, and that they are vaccinated. I've had my cat for 10yrs and she is wonderful, she was kinda skeptic about coming towards little guy at first but now she is comfortable enough to walk past him in the excer-saucer and let him pet her. Good Luck on the cat hunt!
    trublonde130

Answer by trublonde130 at 10:56 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I had cats during both of my pregnancies. Either have someone else change the litter or wear gloves and a mask if you have to do it. If the cat is an indoor-only cat, it is very rare that he/she would carry the parasite that causes toxoplasmosis anyway. You are more likely to get toxoplasmosis from raw or undercooked meat than you are from a indoor cat.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My mom had cats when she was pregnant with both me and my brother. My aunt also has a cat and she just had a baby and everything was fine. Just like everyone else has said just don't change the litter box.
    Rileymommy18

Answer by Rileymommy18 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• It's safe as long as you're not cleaning up his feces. And make sure you wash your hands good after handling him.
    slowyourrole

Answer by slowyourrole at 12:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Thank you for your replies. I wont change the litter, but that is not all of my concern. I'm also concerned that a cat will try to jump up on the baby or get in the crib while they are sleeping. I've had cats before but I was single then. I have no idea how they are around babies.
    Mama2JoshKatie

Comment by Mama2JoshKatie (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010