Do you think that Clarence Thomas sexually harassed Anita Hill

President Bush's nomination of Clarence Thomas was instantly controversial. Many groups opposed Clarence Thomas, nomination to the high court (ie NAACP and several women's groups. Despite these voices of dissent, the Thomas nomination proceeded to the Senate Judiciary Committee's confirmation hearings. The committee split its vote, however--seven to seven, and the nomination went to the Senate without a clear recommendation.

When the nomination moved to the floor of the Senate, it took a sudden and dramatic turn when Anita Hill, a law professor at the University of Oklahoma, came forward with accusations that Clarence Thomas had sexually harassed her. Hill had worked for Thomas years earlier when he was head of the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission. Hill charged that Thomas harassed her with inappropriate discussion of sexual acts and pornographic films after she rebuffed his invitations to date him.

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 10:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know. It's possible, of course, that he did. It's also possible that she lied about it with the intent of derailing his nomination and ruining his career.

Frankly, while I don't want to give the man a free pass to behave crassly, I also don't want to side with the woman just because she's a woman. I didn't find Ms. Hill fully believable then, nor do I now.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I have no clue since I wasn't there. It is possible he harassed her it is also possible she is a liar.  We will never know the truth. 

tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 11:09 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I find it strange that these accusations weren't made until he got the SCOTUS nom. As to answer your question, I have no idea.
    BobbieB

Answer by BobbieB at 11:18 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:01 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Totally.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:15 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• YES
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:20 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes I do. He's scum. And it sickening that his wife defends his nasty ass.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:23 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I find it strange that these accusations weren't made until he got the SCOTUS nom

She answered that during the investigation. She didn't think he would advance, and the committee split evenly-He was a man with power who could hurt her career, so I feel she was afraid of what he would do, and didn't want to bring that attention to herself. She has stayed out of the spotlight, not trying to get a book deal or make money in any way from this. She has tried to quietly go on with her life.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes, I do.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:53 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Absolutely. I listened to the testimony every day. I believed her. I did not believe him.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2010