1st Step???

What's the 1st step to losing weight, other than getting ur rump up off the couch and doing something about it, I am only 5'5 and I am at the heaviest I have ever been which is 210 pounds, I live in some apartments and they have a lil' gym and I went in there and couldn't even do 5 mins on the elliptical. OMG what should I do???

patsymay84

Asked by patsymay84 at 10:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Walk more. It's easy and free.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:53 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• diet!! diet diet diet - i can't emphasize that enough. u can exercise till ur blue in the face, but if u dont kick a daily habit of McD's then it's useless (not saying u have a daily habit, just showing an example!).
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Eat sensible meals, and start slow, even if just walking around the block. One workout I LOVE and anyone can do is Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds videos, the 1 mile is just about 15 minutes and she is motivating. I lost 50 pounds with her videos.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Hey girl. I am so passionate abou this subject. I know a lot of people who have tried lots of different things but it has to be something that works for YOU and it needs to be something easy. A friend of mine started a 90 Day Challenge and he has lost 11 lbs in his first 2 weeks and best of all he cut is diabetic meds in HALF. You should really check it out, the nice thing is it will transform your lifestyle not just your body and you will lose weight and feel amazing. Which is the biggest thing, how you FEEL. If you have ANY questions or just want to chat I'm always here :-).

ChristinaAtHome

Answer by ChristinaAtHome at 12:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Keep at that elliptical! You can't work out long now, but if you keep at it, you will be able to do it longer.

The first step is looking at your diet AND motivating yourself to do regular ecersize. I like walking, myself.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 2:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I agree that getting your diet in order is the 1st step to losing weight. And if the elliptical is too advanced for you at this point, start with walking. Once that is feeling better, increase your walking speed or add hills. You can also buy little wrist or ankle weights to challenge you on your walks. There are so many options, but getting your portion sizes and diet in control should be your number one priority at this point.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 5:04 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• WATER! Cutting out sodas and juices, & LOTSof water/
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:25 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• " I live in some apartments and they have a lil' gym and I went in there and couldn't even do 5 mins on the elliptical. OMG what should I do"

KEEP doing the elliptical. Eventually, you'll get to 5 minutes...then 10....and so on. Cut out all soda, drink LOTS of water. Eat sensibly and walk. If possible get yourself one of those pedometers...they measure how many steps you take in a day. You should be doing a minimum of 10,000 steps each day.

Don't try and do it all at once...slow and steady wins the race. Cut back a few hundred calories, increase your activity, set a few realistic goals and reward yourself (Latte, ice cream sandwich, a cookie) when you reach them.

What's most important? GET EXCITED ABOUT IT! Think about how you'll look come summer time if you start now...Good luck! =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 3:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I would start slow, walking sounds good, you determine your own rhythm, get some music going (it helps to forget that you are really working out)... As you start getting comfortable, you can add weights as you walk, or switch to aerobics, etc Good Luck!

Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Denise Austin's "Pilates for Every Body" is wonderful, in my opinion. I learned that Pilates was designed for people who are bed-ridden to be able to exercise. I figured it people who can't get out of bed can do them so can I. (This was years ago. I haven't done them in a long time since I have kids who crawl all over me when I try but anyway....) I have her book, I read it and I noted the exercises she listed. I picked out the ones I wanted to do and did them at my own pace and they really helped me.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 10:01 AM on Nov. 9, 2010