for those that do the flu shots.

Did you know that the h1n1 is in with the flu shots this year?
Did you still get the shot?
Did your doctor tell you that your child needed to come back in a month for a booster shot if they didn't have the h1n1 last year?

The reason I am asking is because we took the girls Monday to get there shots. My kids are 5.5 and 2.5 and they asked if they had the h1n1 shot last year? I said no. So she said since they didn't I had to bring them back in a month because the vaccine is in with the flu vaccine this year, but when I talked to my sister. My nephews doctor didn't tell her the shot vaccines were together and didnt say anything about a boster to her. Why would her doctor not say anything and mine did? Could it be because they didn't have both vaccines together?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, I knew it was in it. The only reason it wasn't a combined shot last year is that it wasn't prepared on time. Yes, we had our combined flu shots this year. I got my first shot when I was pregnant due to risks of schizophrenia and flu during pregnancy. I've decided that my son and I should have flu shots each year while he's young due to higher risks, and I'll evaluate my decision again when he's school-aged. Our doctor didn't specifically say anything about a booster to us, because my son has the h1n1 shot last year. There is information about it on their website though, including a recommendation for a booster shot if they did not have it last year. I'll share it in a comment below.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Flu Information
    I think my child has the flu. When do I call the office?

2010-2011 Flu Information

* This year there is only ONE flu shot. There is no need for a separate H1N1 flu shot. The 2010 seasonal flu vaccination includes the H1N1 strain.
    * Please check with your insurance company to determine if they will reimburse you for Flu Shots provided by Maxim Health Care since Pediatric Associates of Franklin is not administering the vaccine.
    * For those children under 9 who have not received flu shots in the past or both H1N1 shots last year they will need 2 shots one month apart this year.
    * AAP's Influenza Information
    * AAP's FAQ about H1N1 (Last updated February 2010)
    * Follow us at Twitter for the latest. FAQ about the shot are at the CDC website.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Seasonal Flu information:

* Seasonal Flu Shots
    * Good Practices to Avoid the Flu:

1. Teach your children to wash their hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds.
    2. Teach your children to cough and sneeze into a tissue or into the inside of their elbow.
    3. Children who are sick should stay home from school and daycare and stay away from other people until they are better.
    4. Call the doctor's office if your children have symptoms that are similar to the regular flu.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes, I knew that. Yes, we got the shot. No, Doc said nothing about a booster.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:55 AM on Nov. 3, 2010