breeding chihuahuas

does anyone breed toy breeds? i'm looking for some advice because i'm planning to breed my chis. of course, i'll need to wait two years but i was just wondering if anyone had any really good resources that were helpful to them?

erinwhitt

Asked by erinwhitt at 11:17 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Pets

• Oh gosh ankle biters!!!!! Just a cute little nickname I gave them cause they r little and loud!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:19 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• lol my chis don't bark. i don't allow yapping. my male barks when my husband gets home and that's it. sometimes when we're playing they'll yap a little, but not loudly, like those nightmare chis you hear about.
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Are you going to get them papered? Are you going to use a stud? Make sure you are prepared to do the first set of shots. I have had several litters in my day, and worked for a licensed breeder. Make sure you know what you are getting into. Puppies are cute, but a lot of work. Believe it or not, the problem with toy breeds is prime sale is at their smallest. The grow very fast, and their chances of selling fo down hill. This is how I got my Eddie. The owners allowed their dogs to breed, the made some money and decided that they would keep doing it. Well it wasn't as easy to find homes this time.
    Also, never trust a momma dog with a litter around kids. and make sure you have a good vet, toy dogs can have issues delivering and may need c sections. I'm not saying don't do it, but I really think you should go on the animal shelter websites and see how many toy dogs are sitting in the pound right now. It's overwhelming.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:23 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I know in my state you have to be licensed to breed even one litter if you are going to sell the babies.
    gratefulangel77

Answer by gratefulangel77 at 11:28 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes, I'm getting them papered and registered. I have a good vet that has a lot of experience in chis. I appreciate your input, especially with your experience. Right now I'm trying to get involved with my community to educate people on chis-I live near the city, so they're in high demand but people are always squealing about 'teacup chihuahuas' and how they want a tiny one and I keep trying to explain that's not an actual type of chihuahua, its just something breeders use when they're trying to sell a 'specialized' dog and lots of times they're actually not healthy!

I'm not in it for the money. Breeding healthy chis isn't really profit turning if you don't have show dogs from what I understand.
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Ohhh, but they are. I have a Chorkie. Chi- yorkie. The demand for designer toys is high. So people can sell them for $300 to $1200 out here, that's without papers. That's why the people that had Eddies parents kept breeding and breeding.They begged me to take him, and I got him for FREE. Sorry if I came off rash, I really didn't mean to. I just saw what they did, and they continue to do and it drives me nuts!! His momma is preg again.
    The thing is, people want that cute litte pup, but when they can't house break it, and it sneaks in corners to pee and poo, or gets a little nippy with the kids they dump them off at the pound. I see this hands on helping rescues by fostering.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I don't mind getting licensed. I'm pretty sure that's the requirement here, too.

I was actually rejected by a rescue one state over because when they asked for experience with animals, I mentioned that I had shelties before never a chihuahua and I had plenty of experience with cats. Then they asked if every single animal I ever had had been fixed and I said that any animal we ever owned was fixed-except when i was in high school and my stepmom bought me my sheltie and then bred him with one of her shelties-but it wasn't really my choice and he was well taken care of and blah blah blah. Then they asked if the dogs were bred for profit and I honestly didn't know. I was 16 and it was my stepmom's thing. I doubted it though. But they said I was 'high risk' and wouldn't let me adopt from them.
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• But are they vaccinating their dogs and everything? I guess if you're selling for 1200 you'd make something, but I don't see why anyone would buy a dog that expensive without papers. My male was $400 and he's registered and my female was $250. She was less because we got her from the same breeder and the breeder knew we were responsible and take care of them. We plan on studding the male with another one of her chis at some point-and I'm not charging a fee, I just want the pick of the litter. I don't want to breed dogs as a money making venture, I just enjoy them and have good looking dogs with good temperment. If it turned out that I couldn't sell them, we'd just keep the litter ourselves and get our female fixed to prevent another litter and just continue to stud our boy, and maybe charge a fee.

Oh, and I would only breed with healthy bloodlines. Not to some dog I didn't know anything about.
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Some of the rescues can be a little clicky. I found it funny that one rescue made a huge deal out of me wanting to adopt a male dog from them because my female wasn't fixed(AKC bloodlines, planned to breed AKC stud but got her fixed)but they had PREVIOUSLY allowed me to adopt an intact male. Of course I had him fixed ASAP.

Just be ready. That's all I can really say. I always get nervous at the thought of puppies. I chose not to breed my female and get her fixed because the obligation of quality of life was too heavy for me. How did I know these pups would have a good life, or if they were getting dumped off, or if someone was going to foolishly breed at a year old to make money. I just couldn't do it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:47 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I haven't run across any rescues that don't fix the dogs before you adopt them. My husband suggested we keep them until they're large enough to be fixed but I'm worried at that point, they're going to be attached to us and we'll be attached to them. I'm glad I have two years to think about it. Its definitely not something I want to rush into.
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2010