How do you save money these days with a family of four?

it's hard even to save one dollar!

janeq123

Asked by janeq123 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• Ways we save-we buy big packs of meat and break it up into one or two other meals and freeze it. So you end up with more meals in the freezor then you bought in the store. we also do big enough meals to have left overs that can be frozone for a later date or put in the frig for left over night once a week-Usually in our house Thursday Night is what ever is in the frig is what is for dinner-eat what you want! That way little to no food is wasted-Also my husband brings his lunch to work 4 out of 5 days.

We dont eat out often-and if we do we get things that can be shared.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I have it drafted from my checking account on Friday and put into savings automatically. That way I dont have to think about it, it's just done for me.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Use coupons and look through sale papers. Shop only at the place you can get the best bargains. It works, trust me.
    Rebel_Kay

Answer by Rebel_Kay at 12:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Know how much money is going out verus how much is coming in. Take advantage of coupons and sales. Don't buy what you don't need. Cut out needless expenses like memberships, pay cable channels, ect. Buy generic when possible. Resell items you no longer need.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I grocery shop at places like Aldi's as well as growing in my own garden and buying at Farmers Markets....a preserve, pickle and freeze what I can. Grocery stores have "spend $25 get a turkey for 39 cents a pound" deals, the original price of the turkey counts, so I'll go to those stores the next few weeks and put 4 to 5 turkeys in our freezer for the year.

I make my own laundry detergent: costs about $3.50 and lasts 6 months. I use old cut up receiving blankets for baby wipes and paper towesl, make my own dish washer detergent, shampoo, soap, toothpaste......food wise I make my own butter, bread and pasta. It's healthier and better for you, and yes cheaper.

We buy used clothes for us at thrift stores, yard sales and ebay. Take out movies and books from the library. Unplug things at night. Hang laundry inside or out whenever possible. Have a compost pile, recycle and repurpose all we can, etc etc
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Double coupons, shop sales & discount stores.Prepare foods from scratch in batches. Freeze extras for busy nights prevents eating out. Only buy necessities. Cut your family's hair yourself. Plan shopping trips to minimize driving. Take a sack lunch. Buy produce on sale and freeze, can, or dehydrate if possible for future use.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• use coupons. recycle cans and plastics, cardboard.
    canta1980

Answer by canta1980 at 1:01 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Budget everything! Find coupons in your paper and shop the deals at the store.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2010