Did your OB ever take you out early for maternity leave?

With my first pregnancy I went out 4 weeks before (our company allows up to 4 weeks before). With this pregnancy, I still have 5 weeks till my due date but I'm cramping up BAD (as in, it keeps me up hours at night, I have trouble sitting at my desk at work, etc). I have an emergency dr appointment today to see if she can take me out sooner. I was planning on working 3 more weeks (going out only 2 weeks before my due date) - but I just don't think I can take it anymore. Any suggestions?

SweetPieMama24

Asked by SweetPieMama24 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Your ob goes by if u can still tolerate working comfortably without problems. Since u r having all this cramping and other pregnancy related problems,she will tell u to stop right now!! Good Luck message me and let me know.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:26 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My Dr. took me out 5 weeks early for hypertension and I messed up my sciatic while laying sod at work. Lol. It was nice having that time to get the house ready and relax, but then I was shocked at how soon I had to leave my new baby! He just seemed so small still and I didn't want to leave him. =) So I became a stay at home mom, which is a blessing. I didn't get to do that with my older 2 and I regret it. I missed so much with them =(. But I say do what you think is best for you and your baby. If the Dr. says you are okay to work and you want to work longer then go for it. If you don't then put in your notice. GL
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 11:28 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Thank you. I've been cramping for over a week now and I just can't relax at work everything is go-go-go! I'm hoping she takes me out a little sooner so I can rest and relax before she comes.
    SweetPieMama24

Comment by SweetPieMama24 (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Caoimhe - I had sciatic pain for about 7 weeks at the end of my 2nd trimester. I couldn't even walk!!
    SweetPieMama24

Comment by SweetPieMama24 (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I worked right up until the end, but it sounds like you need to stop now.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:31 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• 3 months early. I was having a lot of complications. Plus, I had back surgery some years prior to my pregnancy and I was in a lot of pain. Maybe you could ask your OB ?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Do what's best for you and your baby. I went out early with both pregnancies. Unfortunately with my first pregnancy it wasn't early enough and I delivered my son at 28 weeks. He is now 5 and we are very lucky that his only lasting issues to date are asthma and ADHD. If work is too physically stressful on you and the baby, it's not worth the risk. If your doctor determines that early leave is best they can get it cleared through FMLA.
    lizschumaier

Answer by lizschumaier at 12:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yeap. I've been out of work since week 21 and I'm now week 33. My amniotic fluid was extremely low to the point where I thought I was going to lose my little girl. Luckily with the bed rest and drinking water, the fluid levels are normal and I can expect to deliver at full term (in as little as 3 weeks!!! :D)
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 12:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I left work 2 1/2 months early. I was suffering from gallbladder attacks and was sick all the time. I also had to go in for non stress tests every week because my amniotic fluid was too high. You have to do what's best for you. I hope you get the time off you need. How long of a leave does your company offer? I had 12 weeks to take and I worked for a school so my leave went right into summer break which was great so I had a full 6months home during my leave. Hope it works out for you! GL!
    myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• WOW 6 months! that's crazy. We are allowed 4 before and 6 after (8 if you have a C-Section). That's it. It sucks! Right now I'm 5 weeks before my due date that's why I'm asking her to take me out sooner, as in, NOW lol. I need to rest I'm SO exhausted (which I know if normal, but I have low iron so I'm anemic as well). If I wasn't cramping and had a ton of pressure, then I'd stay at work as long as I can to get a paycheck obviously.
    SweetPieMama24

Comment by SweetPieMama24 (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2010