Adult children

My oldest daughter was always working and has been since she was 14. Now she is layed off and on unemployment and doesn't seem to mind. At first I thought it was ok she needed a break but now I think she needs to look for a job. She is always borrowing money and she doesn't want to take a job making less money than she did on her previous job. She parties and thats all shes doing right now, how can I make her see the light?

Momabear455

Asked by Momabear455 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• lets get this straight she has been working since she was 14yrs old and know she is on ;
    unemployment oh wow mom i think she just taking break ,she will go back to work in time just give her time to catch her breath , when she was working did you at any time ask for money if so then help her out,as long she helps you out in the house
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 6:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Don't let her borrow money. If she doen't have that help from you then she will have to get a job. Also, if she is living with you explain to her that if she wants to stay, she needs to pay some kind of rent. It doesnt have to be much, allow her to get back on her feet but just enough that she can't afford it without a steady job.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 12:13 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Be strong, don't give her anymore money. She will get tired of not having any and will get a job.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I agree, don't give her anymore money. Why go out and get a job when mom is still giving me the money I need ? She can't turn jobs down just because she won't make as much. Now anything is better than nothing. Let her figure that out. Good luck.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:42 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• She will see the light when you stop giving her money for partying.

Answer by older at 12:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• You have to stop giving her money. You have to stop enabling her to party.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• CUT OFF THE FUNDS! As long as your helping her why should she be responsible?
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:09 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Thanks for all your responses, however, she doesn't ususally come to me for money usually its other people. I ususally tell her i dont have it. I think she is looking a little online just pray that she gets a good job. She doesn't live at home and hasn't for a long time.
    Momabear455

Comment by Momabear455 (original poster) at 6:23 PM on Nov. 7, 2010