Under what circumstances would you accuse your child's teacher of lying?

If the teacher said something happened and your child denied it would you support your child and assume the teacher was lying?

maxswolfsuit

Asked by maxswolfsuit at 11:45 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No, I would not. While I'd certainly listen and try to ascertain to the best of my ability what really happened, it's highly unlikely that (unless we're discussiing something such as teacher misconduct) the teacher would be lying. The teacher would have little motivation to lie, while the child would have far more.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:23 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• if the teacher is obviously lying.

I've been a teacher for years- things happen. I've had to admit that what I thought happened may not have been exactly as it did. Though, I have had a LOT of students lie directly to their parents in front of me. It puts the teacher in a bad spot. When trying to deal with situations, I've come to realize that I do not know all the specifics and to be honest with that to the parents... it really helps put me in a good light when a student decides to lie in the future. Mostly, you know your child... trust your instinct about the situation- and weigh the odds. Really, what does a teacher have to gain by lying? Not to say they never do... but most of the time, they don't.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Sorry I just realized I didn't answer the question, and I dislike that... :)

I wouldn't accuse them of lying unless I saw it my self, or heard it my self.

My kids have been a little off wack lately... My son has been wacky and silly.
    My daughter is like a story teller, very, very big imagination. My 11 year old can't lie very well, she feels the guilt like a tornado, so with her I would believe, but have to be sure I get the whole story.
    My 14 is lying alot lately I dont' know what to believe... :(
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• There are way too many variables here. I personally can not think of any situation that I would accuse a teacher of lying, if my child said one thing and she said another, I would have a private talk with her and try to get to the bottom of it, againly calmly, accusing NO ONE. Kids have a way different perspective on things than adults do, they may both be right. Again, it really depends on what you are talking about here...can you be a little more specific?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:56 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• You know your child.

If you are one of the moms, whos child does no wrong and they do-the child winds up making a fool out of you.

If you have caught you child lying before you have to be weary... Kids are not angles and teachers make mistakes.

If you are asking the question, you already no you are not sure who is lying so you need to move on and explain to your child to never, ever lie, if he does not lie then you will fight for him until the end, but if he lies, you can't do that.

Good luck!!!!

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I think it would depend on how the situation effected my kid. If it was something serious, and my kid was obviously suffering mentally/physically, etc. from it then of course I would really investigate into it. But without knowing your situation I can't say how seriously I'd take it. You know your kid well, is he/she acting distressed over the situation? For example, is he/she passionate and adamant that the teacher is lying? Or does it sound just like more of an excuse? I think my childs attitude toward the situation would be the biggest indication of who may be telling the truth.
    Anonymous

• What would make it obvious to you that he or she was lying? Would your child's word be enough?

maxswolfsuit

Comment by maxswolfsuit (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• *again*
    gramsmom

• The question about the cursing in the bathroom got me thinking. I would never take my child's word for it if they were accused of something like that.

Last year I taught a student who was in trouble several times. Once I witnessed him do something and another time two teaching assistants heard him say the F word. His mom insisted he didn't do any of it because he swore to her he didn't. She said the adults were making it up becausethey didn't like him. She actually transferred him to another school because of it.

I have a hard time imagining a scenario where I would believe my child over a teacher or school employee. I was wondering what other people thought.

maxswolfsuit

Comment by maxswolfsuit (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• That is a hard one to answer. I think as a parent you should try to read into what your child is saying, ask other kids in the class what happened. I don't think it would be fair to call your child a liar or the teacher one until you did some fact checking.
    MaggieNSamsMom

Answer by MaggieNSamsMom at 12:23 PM on Nov. 3, 2010