my baby is not latching on anymore. what do i do ?? adult content

my DS is 2 months old now. from the start ive been having less milk production. my doc says could be because of my hormonal disorder. also due to his low body temp he was admitted in NICU for 10 days(where they were feeding him formula day and night) so due to that his appetite increased when he arrived home at last. so his pedi advised me to nurse him as much as i could and then on top of that give him formula to fill him up (as he was still hungry and fussy after nursing). he did fine for 2 months but now he wont latch on! since past 2 days he just wont take my nipple in his mouth. he sucks for 2 secs and starts crying. i do get a little milk. and i cant pump too much as my breasts get sore. what do i do ????

cookie269

Asked by cookie269 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Shame on you DANCER for suggesting that when she was NOT asking that. It is women like you who undermine the process of breastfeeing for women who are looking to continue despite setbacks.

DEFINITELY call La Leche League, and NOW! Your doctor should have advised you to gradually use the bottle less and less. Some things you can try are hand expressing some milk prior to latching so that the milk is ready for him. It sounds like he probably has nipple confusion. It is much easier for babies to get milk from a bottle then a breast. As far as increasing your supply, nurse nurse nurse!! Bring him to the breast every hour if you can. Drink plenty of water, keep up your calorie intake, and start supplimenting with galatogogues. <-- my favorite nursing site. Don't forget to call La Leche Legue though!!

squish

Answer by squish at 3:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• sometimes babies like to be held in different ways while nursing. try whats called the Football Hold. look it up. A nurse had suggested this for me but my baby was only the couple days old at the time. The baby sits on a pillow while you sit, the baby's legs are in the back of you, under your arm, while the baby nurses. Good Luck and if that doesnt work, well...maybe he's done nursing.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Call La Leche League and/or a lactation specialist. I agree with americansugar that it could be the position. I used to get mine into a modified football hold where they were more sitting up and facing me slightly. But call La Leche they are sooo helpful and non judgmental. As far as expressing milk, baby is the best pump there is. What you get from hand expressing and pumping will rarely compare to what baby can get.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Keep trying. Try different positions, but keep trying. Some babies regress and they just need encouragement. Call the Lactaion consultant at the hospital you delivered at. Just keep trying.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• If nursing is important to you the contat a lactation consultant. But do not stress about it too much that will not help. Maybe try a different pump. I was using a first years pump and it really killed my nipples when I switched to the medela freestyle it made a huge difference. And if baby is having a hard time latching some ins companies pay for a pump
    ckmomof2

Answer by ckmomof2 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Definitley pump..I know it hurts ! But you will get used to it trust me!!Get some good breast creme!! Keep at it if it issomething you feel strongly about..you will get over the hump..Keep trying ..:)
    Kelly2573

Answer by Kelly2573 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• thank do so much ladies !! and a special thanks to squish!! :)
    i did contact my lactation consultant. she told me get these pills ''fenugreek'' and another one i dont remember the name. but unfortunately they are not available at our local CVS or grocery store. the closest GNS we have is like an hour drive away so probably have to wait for the weekend to drive up there.
    my DS is definitely confused between the nipple and bottle. but it has been an abrupt change. like i said he was feeding fine 2 days ago (even though i was not getting alot at that time either.. but i was like, something is better than nothing right?) but now he would just start crying harder and harder when i try to introduce him to my nipple. until i put the bottle in his mouth. why all of sudden? i tried everyday today to slowly maneuver him back to my breast but he would just purse him lips tightly or turn his head away.
    cookie269

Comment by cookie269 (original poster) at 5:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Its nipple preference and flow preference, best way to help that is to get skin to skin time, offer the breast when he is not starving and is drowsy. Try not to give bottles, if he refuses to nurse use a syringe or medicine dropper and give small amounts of milk that way. Eat oatmeal and try to pump or hand express you need stimulation to get supply up.

A supplimental nursing system would be great for you right now. It would mean all feedings at the breast and you can use pumped milk or formula in it to get him to stay latched when theres slow/no letdown.

You can do this momma! Don't give up. read up on kellymom.com about getting baby back to the breast!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• tabi_cat1023
    I accidentially voted down your answer, when I meant to vote it up!! So sorry!
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Put him on the formula by itself.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:56 AM on Nov. 3, 2010