Why do people ask you if you are "sure" you want to marry your fiance 30 seconds before you walk down the aisle?

I am amused and thought everyone could use a laugh! I got married on October 25. Every-thing went smoothly and like most families we were asked the "are you sure" question, the one that goes, "I absolutley love Graham...but are you still sure you want to marry him"? You can always back out and be friends? But,I was not expecting that on my wedding day,with less than 20 minutes to go...9 people...count them 9 people asked me if "I was sure" but to make matters even more funny, we got up to the door to the sanctuary...right before we were supposed to walk down the aisle, my step-father made "sure" that I was "sure". I am not sure which was more amusing...being asked if I was sure about marrying him right before I walked down the aisle or being asked if I wanted to walk outside and get fresh air...2 minutes before I pushed my son out!!! Does anyone else have funny story?

portakolis08

Asked by portakolis08 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Relationships

• I recently remarried and yes, was asked the same thing (maybe because I swore after my first horrible marriage of 12 yrs that I was NOT going to remarry). It is kind of funny because I can't imagine asking someone that on their wedding day. Congratulations to you on your wedding and baby, by the way! =)
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• lol, that is funny, but honestly, I think the reason people ask is because they love you and want what's best for you. There are people out there who say that they wished they hadn't gotten married, or that the only reason they went through with it is because it was too late to back out now.

I would guess the people who asked you were not so much slamming on the man you married as wanting you to know, in a very odd way, that they love and support you, and would stand by you, no matter what.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:16 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I don't have an "are you sure question", but I do have a labor and delivery one w/ a dumb question. I was in labor w/ my oldest daughter 9,she's 9 now). Just as I was about to deliver her (and I do mean just before), the nurse asked me if I wanted to wait 19 minutes so that her birthday would be 9/9/99 instead of 9/8/99. I'm thinking to myself, here I am in excruciating pain (because I was in labor with her for 18 hrs.) and about to deliver and you're asking me if I want to wait an other 19 f*****g minutes. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• As far as funny things people say though - here's a couple for you. Our ds was 6 mos old when I got pg with our dd. When we told my fil, his words to me were "well, how did that happen?" (lol, he's an Engineer with 3 kids of his own...) I said the first thing that came to my mind - "The same way the first one did I guess!" (btw, we were using birth control, I was nursing, and I hadn't had a period yet. That girl was meant to be born lol!)

Oh - and I love when we get this - we got it more when they were younger than we do now that they're teens - When people ask "are they twins" I reply "No". Then they ask, "Are you SURE? They look Identical!" LOL - I usually answer with "Yeah, I think I would have remembered 15 mos of labor ;-) LOL - then I usually (gently) point out that they couldn't be identical twins anyway, since one's a boy and one's a girl....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:20 PM on Oct. 31, 2008