What are some tips for a very hyper active 5 yr old?

I have a 5 yr old daughter who is very hyper, to say the least. I want to try every angle before I think about medication. I don't think medicating a child is the best approach. Any tips will be welcomed!

MaggieNSamsMom

Asked by MaggieNSamsMom at 12:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I am wanting to see what others say because I to have a daughter she is also 5 well 5.5 now and she is really hyper and I don't want her on medication either, but sometimes can't take it anymore lol.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• What kind of environment is she in? Does she get quiet time to just play by herself? Does she get enough sleep? Do you take specific time out of your day to spend with just her making her feel special? Do you discipline her, give her limits and boundaries, say no and mean it?
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Has she actually been diagnosed with anything the requires medication, or is she just hyper? There is a HUGE difference and ADHD and ADD are commonly Misdiagnosed in children everyday. Honestly, really know before you go drugging her up. I'm really glad that you're seeking out other options before you resort to that though.

Keep her active creatively. Set up an obstical course outside. Get Painters paper (Lowe's) and hang it on her bedroom wall and let her draw until her heart's content. Have a bean bag toss. Set up a dress up and play house area for her to use her imagination..
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Is he only hyper, or is this an attention problem as well? If he's just hyper, all I can think is that you need to make sure he always has plenty of stuff to do. Not just play, but maybe help cook, plant flowers, or a veggie garden, stuff like that to keep him occupied.Sorry if I am not any help.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 12:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I would suggest lots of activities, wii fit is a wonderful tool too. So you can get things done and she will have a ball, then you can play with her.

Take her for a run, and time her if you can't race with her... :)

In school, I would suggest putting a rubber band around the bottom of the legs so she can bounce off it..

MOST OF all be PATIENT.... Which can be the hardest but you can do it!!!! Good luck!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Mama I think you are just hitting burn out.
    Get yourself some time to nap, let it go.
    Start to do things that pamper you only.
    If she isn't better right away than don't fret, just keep swimming!
    And if she's interested in something let another family member chip in either financially, or for a social life for her outside with
    activities maybe not quite put on a time slot with you as of yet.
    Anonymous

• Got some pretty good tips here, thanks for all the responses.
    MaggieNSamsMom

Comment by MaggieNSamsMom (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Our kids love the keyboard, this is great skill therapy !

We have good luck with music. It works for their senses and stimulates them in emotions.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 12:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My son is ADHD and we treat it with diet and caffein, no drugs here
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• you start by cutting sugar out of the diet 100% and then the simple carbs that just break down to sugar (like white bread switched to wheat) then serious activity so she is tired enough. then you can do paying attention games like simon says. you could look for a meditation or yoga or martial arts class - those help...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2010