How can I tell if my Daughter is Autistic?

I see signs of serious creativeness, and a lot of different emotions that a normal child wouldn't have or I am just seeing a super sensitive child. She is 8 years old, but doesn't act like a normal eight year old, she acts younger then that. I have requested several times at her school to have her tested but they doesn't see any reason to do so. So now I have enlisted her Counselor and asked her Psychiatrist to speak to her school Teacher to get her an IEP Case Worker. I also have to mention that she is Bi-Polar, ADHD & OCD.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in

• Take her to her pediatrician and tell the doctor your concerns. That is the only way to really tell. It could be she's just a creative, sensitive child.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 12:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• The best thing to do would be to consult a developmental pediatrician or Physiologist for a proper diagnosis. As far as an iep goes they will only do what they feel is necessary for the 'school' issues. If they feel the diagnosis they have on file is adequate for her iep then that is as far as they will go. It is up to you to go after any additional diagnosis or even second opinions for a private provider. If you private insurance is not adequate to cover these test then look into what is called a Deeming Waiver. This *could* allow and exemption and get her supplemental medicaid,
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Take her to the doctor. By the way, that school HAS to do an autism evaluation if you request one. Is she in any other things like OT or PT? If so, I would def. stay on the schools heels untill they had her evaluated.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 12:20 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My son also has ADHD but luckily doesn't have any learning disabilities that often go with it. In 3rd grade we insisted (on his therapist's advice) to have him tested at the school so that if he needed accommodations during testing he could have them and so that it would also be documented by the school. The testing started in November and finished in April (nice waste of a year) but they found that although he has a diagnosed disability (ADHD) he was able to keep up with the class academically so did not need an IEP or special accommodations. I found over the years, however, that his teachers were always willing to help in anyway they could (extra set of books at home, frequent updates to me, even giving him extra work when he was bored in class - he's really bright). We had him tested again in 8th grade (again, it took most of the year) because he was having trouble with organization (not unusual for kids with ADHD) ...
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 9:10 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Continued.... Again, he was "able to keep up with his peers" so no IEP. My argument is that my son gets 100's on almost every test but can't find his homework even when he's done it. He's now a sophomore and carries ALL of his books (60 lbs) with him all day so that he has everything with him. He's now maturing enough to figure out his own coping techniques and he's finally turning in his homework - most of the time.

Sorry for the rant - demand that your daughter be tested at school. I believe that they have to do it.... Good luck
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 9:13 AM on Nov. 8, 2010