Breastfeeding? adult content

Almost 8 months later I still get hounded by my MIL about not breastfeeding my child. It wasn't a choice that I was comfortable with. She (MIL) told me she breasfed all 3 of her children, but when I talked to my DH dad he said she never once did it with his 2, otherwise he wouldn't have had to buy all the formula he did.
On Mother's Day we had a family cookout here and DHs Aunt annouced she was expecting in October. People got to asking her questions and one was "Are you going to BF?" her response was "Yes, I plan too." My Milk turned around and said "Atleast someone will." I felt really insulted and wanted to ask her to leave, but I didn't want to be the *itchy DIL.
I understand a mothers milk is better for the baby, but what if its not for you or if you can't produce it.
I don't feel like a horrible mother, its just I'm tired of being hounded about it.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

trublonde130

Asked by trublonde130 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think every women who is capable should at least *try* breast feeding. then if they choose formula then whatever. Therehave been plenty of babies raised on formula who do just fine!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I woulkd like to see more people breast feed and I do seem to judge people a little who are capable and don't, b/c I do feel it's better and best of all it's FREE. but it's you're decision and you need to just blow her off. Tell her you are tired of earing her harp on you for not breastfeeding and it's hurting your feelings, try to make her feel bad about it. Tell her it's hurting your feelings and would she please lay off.
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 12:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i would like more women to try breast feeding but formula is fine if that is wat u chose to do! she just needs to let it go! u did wat was best for ur family! i would tell her to back off ! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Personally, I believe everyone should do it and only use formula if they truly have an issue. However, it isn't my job make everyone and judge those that don't. I wasn't BF and neither was most of my family. I did BF my son but gave up because I was undereducated at the time. My next child will be totally BF and nothing else.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:23 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Well she's been banned from the house for other reasons, but every now-and-then she'll just park infront of our house for about 30-45mins then leave and she will try and sweet talk us into doing things with her so she can see her grandson. I know it sounds wrong, but I really could give less a crap if she does or not especially with her past that I've been told about.
    trublonde130

Comment by trublonde130 (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I think that as parents we make our own choices if she can not respect yours and belittles you then she should not be around you. And for the record I am very pro breastfeeding. This is not a baby feeding issue but a respect issue
    ckmomof2

Answer by ckmomof2 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• @ckmomof2 that's what I've told everybody; she doesn't respect me. My God-mother and I have joked about getting a restraining order against her, and I'm seriously thinking about.
    trublonde130

Comment by trublonde130 (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• you should get a restraining order because that behaviour is scary! =(
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 2:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

---
    This.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I think it's no one's business, family or not, whether a woman breastfeeds and personally I find it incredibly rude every time I hear or read someone saying it should be "tried at least". I want to say what part of 'none of your business' is that hard to understand?! It's pushy, annoying and again no one's business. I also think they wouldn't enjoy someone picking at their life and telling them what to do or not do. As for your MIL, I think she needs to grow up and stop lying not to mention stop parking in front of your house.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010