what am i supposed to do with a newly 1 year old ..?

Its not like they can talk.. how are you supposed to play i feel like im not giving my best for him but im not really sure how to play with him... what do you do with your baby? if your a stay at home mom .. theres really nothing i can think of that we could do together .. he cant walk,talk, or even know how to use a sippy cup.. only the kind with a straw the nuby kind.. and i feel like hes not getting enough interaction with me.. should i be teaching him something.. yes these things sound kind of dumb question but im a first time mom not knowing what to do..ya see my husband is in the army soo we live for away from family soo i have no one to give me advise :(

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 12:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• this is an odd time but you make the most of it. We read/look at a lot of books, we talk, we play. They take in sooo much rioght now so anything you do with them is something to them. If you can get out and walk with them, or take them to an indoor park/play area, even the zoo if it's warm enough where you live. I was able to do so much more with my oldest when she was smaller b/c she was my only and I can't do as much with my almost 1 yr old on Nov 10th b/c I have the 3 yr old and my youngest doesn't seem to know or do nearly half the things my oldest did when she was her age. So anything you can do helps. You may feel like it's nothing but they are learning a lot more than you give them credit for. WEhen my oldest was 1 she could point out animals in a book if I asked her to, she could make their sounds, she said a handful of words, and knew where a lot of her body parts were if I asked. Good luck : )
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 12:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• you can play patty cake, teach him his body parts, like his nose, eyes and such, teach him songs like twinkle twinkle little star, read to him. take him for walks and point things out like leaves, cars trees.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• The more you talk to him, the easier it will be for him to learn to talk. So talk to him about everything as you're doing it. Go about your day and do what you normally would and let him "help" you. If you're washing dishes or cooking, let him sit in the kitchen floor with a wooden spoon and metal mixing bowl. If you're folding clothes, give him a couple washcloths and show him how to play peek a boo. Sing songs while you work - Old McDonald, the Wheels on the Bus, or sit down and show him how to do the hand motions - you will have to do them for him for a while but one day he will surprise you. Most libraries have weekly storytimes for prewalkers, check into yours. Does your mall have an indoor playground? Those are great places for little ones, especially when it's messy out. Walks in the stroller - either outside or indoor at a store, just looking at things. You could make some edible playdough (google recipes)

Answer by missanc at 12:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• just talk. no worries
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Your baby may not seem like he is understanding anything right now, but believe me, they are total sponges! Sing the ABC's, count with him/her all day long. Talk all day long, about everything and anything you are doing. Even if it sounds silly saying "mommy is putting on her pants. And then she will do her hair", thye are watching and absorbing everything. And one day, out of nowhere, they will start pointing and talking too. Its all about consistancy. Even if you say the same word 80 times, it doesnt matter. Repitition is everything!
    Also, take your baby out as much as you can. Show him the world, and watch his face light up. Parks, pools, anything. And talk to him the whole time. Say "do you see the _.?" and point it out. And then ask him to point at it.
    I remember feeling that way too. But now my daughter is 18 months and is way ahead of many other babies her age, and even kids 6 months older in communicating.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 1:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I played peek-a-boo, patty cake and sang the Itsy Bitsy Spider so many times I lost count! Play "So Big" where they lift their arms over their head and you tickle their pits. Read to him. Dance around the kitchen with your son in your arms. I had a milk crate I kept toys in and I would dump them out and my son would help me put them back in. And talk talk talk!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2010