What is normal for post-partum bleeding?

I am almost 4 weeks post partum, and am still bleeding quite heavily. The bleeding had slowed down some about a week to ten days after giving birth, but then began to get heavier again. Then, within the past week, its gone from dark brown to brighter red and mucous-y, and just in the past couple of days, I've had some pretty major clots. Tonight I passed a really big one, and I'm getting quite concerned. I'm saturating at least 5 to 6 super absorbency "overnight" maxi-pads per day. I'd already decided I was going to call my doc on monday, but the huge clot tonight really has me freaked out, and I'm not sure if I should try to get some more immediate attention over the weekend...
HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Health

• How big is "huge"?
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:16 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Yeah, my OB told me not to be concerned unless the clot was bigger than my fist. Seriously. It's common to bleed a lot, and even to stop and then start again. Big clots are normal, too. I've had 4 kids. If you're really concerned, or if you have a fever, go see the doctor.
    Anonymous