How do you feel about the prices of some of these Bibles?

A few months ago I had brought in to work with me my NIV Study Bible. It has a brown and pink cover and the outside pages are silver colored instead of the usual gold. The receptionist commented on how pretty it was and asked me if it cost anything. I said, "Yes, it was on sale and I got it for $25." She gasped and was absolutely disgusted that I paid that much and that it was even priced higher at the regular price. She said that making money off God's Word is just wrong and I said, "But it costs to print these materials." She wasn't having it.

What's your take?

mz_erica03

Asked by mz_erica03 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I wouldn't get one at a yard sale so I dun think it matters to me any. I have one old one because my gram bought it for me years ago. It's the only one I'll ever own.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 12:47 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I think that if you want pretty things you pay for them. Fact of life. lol. The manufacturer has every right to make money off of their product! The Word of God is no exception. It is the printer livelihood. You can get Free Bibles so it isn't like they just aren't available for anyone who wants one.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• @ But_Mommie ... yes I LOVE my pretty brown & pink Bible! lol
    mz_erica03

Comment by mz_erica03 (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My Bible cost much more than $25. In fact, I have several and they all cost more than that. They have genuine leather covers and are very nicely printed. It's not about showing off, but the Word of God is precious to me and I don't mind spending money on it.
    If someone doesn't have much money, there are paperback versions, and if you called any church I'm fairly certain that they would find you a free copy of the Bible.

Answer by missanc at 12:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Eh, don't worry about it. She probably stole hers from a hotel room. If a pink and brown bible makes you happy, why should she care?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• What's so wrong about making money on G-d's word? It's an honest living, and even devoted people have to eat, dress themselves, have a roof over their heads and pay for bills. Funnily enough, I'm willing to bet this same woman complaining about people making $25 from G-d's word would just be amazed and jealous that Tom Cruise makes million for working a couple of months a year.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• if someone cant afford to buy a fancy Bible they can get one for free from most churches...so its not like the only way you can read the Bible is by buying an expensive one. nice Bibles are made nice and deserve a price thats fitting.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I don't think that was too much.

Answer by older at 1:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Books are expensive and the bible is no exception.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• wow...$25? i bought mine (the one i use most often, or bring to church, and i do have several versions, concordances, etc.)for more than twice that, over 10yrs ago. my take: you can walk to work for free, because you have legs and you can do what you want with them. or according to your finances and desires, you can buy a bike, a dodge neon, or cadillac escalade. all four will get you where you want to go, depending on how much you want to spend.
    :))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2010