My 6-year old boy is very impulsive, pills or No pills????

My son is very impulsive so far it hasn't interfered with his academics. In kindergarten i took him to his Doctor and he gave me and his teacher to fill out a questioner (ADD or ADHD), the doctor was really against medication. He knows my son and he said that he will grow out of it he is only 6 y. His doctor retired and a new doctor looked at the charts and asked if i wanted to get him medicated? I was in chock, there hadn't been an evaluation, study team or therapy. I told her that medication is only the last option. She started to look at his weight and what our insurance covered. She gave me the prescription and set my off. At the pharmacy they looked at me with concern, they asked if he had been evaluated? And pointed out that this is very strong, and unless the child has been diagnosed it shouldn't be taken! I did my own research and i didn't like what i saw. I don't know sometimes i want to give up and just give the PILL

Actress-mom81

Asked by Actress-mom81 at 12:47 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would look into supplementing B6 and Magnesium instead. Lots of kids with ADHD benefit a lot from this. I supplement my son with B6, Magnesium, and DMG, and his attitude has improved. His focus in school has improved. He seems calmer and happier. Here's a bit of information on it: http://www.wellsphere.com/add-adhd-article/treating-adhd-with-magnesium-and-vitamin-b6/578241

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• He is only 6...all kids are impulsive that young. I wouldnt give him the pills...and I am shocked that they did that without an evaluation or anything else.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I am totally with the first doctor. This is a mater of teaching and learning and growing, not altering the brain chemistry of a small child. The pharmacy SHOULD be concerned. All of these meds impact the developing brain - in some ways we understand and in many ways we don't. And meds in this country? are not tested on children - after all, who wants to officially experiment on children, right? So we don't experiment on children - which really means that every time we give these meds to a child? We ARE experimenting - we're guessing and gambling.
    Be consistent, set reasonable expectations, set rules and enforce consequences, teach cause/effect thinking ... but BRAVO for his first doctor!!!!
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 12:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Children aren't born knowing impulse control. They have to be taught. They have to learn. They have to develop. Medicating is not the answer.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I would never give a 6 yr old a pill. Find a new doctor.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2010