Global implications of the election results?

PARIS — As Republicans prepare to assert new authority in the U.S. Congress following the midterm elections Tuesday, the United States’ allies overseas are concerned that the political upheaval in Washington may pose fresh challenges to the global economy.

Despite pledges to curb government spending and the huge U.S. budget deficit, Republicans are expected to address anxiety over unemployment and flagging growth by pushing hardest for an extension of the Bush-era income tax cuts for everyone, including the rich — a move that would add to the deficit and, by extension, further weaken the U.S. dollar.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:47 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Thanks OP- Only a fool didn't get where this was headed. People need to educate themselves on "global" economics and their implications. Cog and wheel. ITA with the issues surrounding the tax cuts. I guess many conservatives are more concerned with their own pocketbooks v the deficit their GKs  will inherit.  The usual "everyone else should suffer, but not me."

Pansies.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• The United States’ allies overseas are concerned that the political upheaval in Washington may pose fresh challenges to the global economy.

OP~How is a "balance of power" considered an upheaval?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• sweet~or is the fears are justified

Some could say the fears Obama had of overspending with little accountability were justified and rejected in yesterday's election..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I think people want to make the government work, and they are hoping this will force both sides to work together instead of despite each other

So,are you saying the American people are saying it's time for the politicians to end the "slurpee", "back of the line", "one term", "fail" banter? I agree.. The American people can have opinions.. But when it comes down to it, I think yesterday's election speaks to wanting ALL politicians to work FOR promoting American OPPORTUNITY...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Good points Sweet a kins. It will be so interesting to see the"new regime" and their efforts to cut taxes and make government smaller. Hehe. It doesn't surprise me that the "rest of the World" is concerned. SO am I.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I guess we will have to wait and see.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• OP~How is a "balance of power" considered an upheaval? Answer by grlygrlz2

My guess is because the New York Times deems it so. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• You could, but it would be speculation as to the WHY's of alot of people's votes

Your entire question, OP calls for SPECULATION.. LOL....As is Samuri's entire prediction is SPECULATION, "Republicans in office isn't enough to change our economy. I'm pretty sure they won't do anything that will actually help at all. The middle class will be screwed & the rich will be richer... " ~by samuri...  This whole post is devoted to calling for SPECULATION... ;o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• So,are you saying the American people are saying it's time for the politicians to end the "slurpee", "back of the line", "one term", "fail" banter? I agree.. I don't understand this

Politicians, need to end the partisan banter... ALL of them..  The Commander in Chief sets the tone.  That is one area where Clinton made strides, midterm... Politicians "lose track" (and Obama is now admitting it!) LOL  Lesson truly learned?  We will see...  But I will continue to hold ALL accountable...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Ask the overseas allies about that Grly.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2010