Has anyone used that clear plastic that goes over windows to stop drafts?

Does it work & any tips on using it? My Sons room has side sliding windows and they are the pits and I really can't replace them right now so I am looking for suggestions. Thanks!

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 12:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Yes, we do my DD's room and the basement sliding glass doors...they make an amazing difference in room temperature, not to mention my gas/electric bill. I don't have any tips as far as how to install it (my husband does it), but I'm sure if you go into a HomeDepot, or Lowe's, that they can help you out.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I used the plastic on all my windows last year. I think it works wonderful. The best tip I can give is when you are putting it on take your time. Swipe side to side slowly and make sure all the wrinkles are out. It will help keep the heat in and the cold out.
    Coloradomamao2

Answer by Coloradomamao2 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes we use them and like them. The only thing was my kids liked to poke holes in them when they were younger.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yup, we used 'em for extremely drafty windows. When the wind would blow, you could sometimes hear the plastic crinkling. Pretty annoying.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I have and it makes a real difference! It is easy to use, and readily available. It also helps lower heating costs when you aren't battling constant cold drafts. :)
    ChristiLee644

Answer by ChristiLee644 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I used them for my really old house. It had TONS of windows. I didnt put the plastic on all my windows because i was freaked out about carbon monoxide, so I put it on the wndows behind the couch, the windows in the dining room, and only on the bottom halves of one window in the bedrooms that were closest to the beds. It really helped
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes, I'm renting a house that is full of drafts and it has already made a huge difference. I didn't put them on every single window, but the ones over vents and by beds and the three major windows where most of our wind hits are covered.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 2:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes, we use them every year. We even get some extra because if oe gets damamged, we replace it right away (the dog pokes holes in them on accident sometimes).

We need to do it now - I can feel the draft in the house already!!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 2:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• When we were renting, we used to do it every year. It works wonders.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes........it works.

Much cheaper than buying new windows right now....the cheapest I've seen is $150.00 or more if a custom sized fit is needed.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 12:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2010