When is an appropriate age to let the cat out about Santa?

I know my kids (5 and 3) are still young enough to believe in Santa, but what is an appropriate age to tell them the "truth"?

MaggieNSamsMom

Asked by MaggieNSamsMom at 12:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• When you are ready. I wanted to this year, my son is 6 and Daughter is 3 but I only wanted to tell my son, so I'll wait... DH wants to wait until they ask...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I plan to just let my kids figure it out for themselves. My son is 7 and I know he knows but plays along for his 3 year old sister. I think once they go to school they usually find out from other kids whos parents dont play the santa game. That is how my son found out in kindergarten.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• When they ask you, probably around age 8. When our oldest asked we told him of course Santa is real, he is alive in our hearts and in is the spirit of giving and that Santa was more of an idea... IKD...but he bought it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My kids will eventually figure it out by themselves. My 14 yr old is still holding on to Santa so I'm not bursting anybody's bubble.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Keep the magic for as long as you can. Wait until he asks or it becomes obvious he really doesn't believe you anymore.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My kid won't be taught about santa, but I would say when kids start figuring it out themselves. I think it's pretty common around 7 or 8 when they start to understand the impossibility of it.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I always let them figure it out.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• This really depends on the child. It's also good to consider the children they spend a lot of time with -- you don't want to have them tell or be told by another child. Talk with their playmates' moms and see what seems to work best. Also, once you tell the older one, the younger is bound to find out -- little ones have a hard time keeping a secret like this.

My son had a hard time with this 'revelation' when he was 8; but at 4 my daughter was skeptical, and always asking very pointed, challenging questions. In Kindergarten she got a time-out for telling her teacher she was stupid, after being scolded for announcing she didn't believe in Santa. Her teacher had warned her that Santa wouldn't bring her anything if she kept saying she didn't believe in him. "That's STUPID! How can something I don't believe in bring me presents anyway?!"
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I'll let them believe as long as they want to.....why ruin the fun and majic of it all? They're only kids for a VERY short while....
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• That is the one thing that I think a kid should believe in as long as they believe in it. It's harmless and will not alter anything once they find out he's not real. It really should be something a child believes in if they already do, because that helps bring alive the holiday spirit.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2010