Can I make pumpkin pie from a "jack-o-lantern" pumpkin?

We were going to carve a pumpkin with our 3 year old this year, but w/ work & all it just kinda got put aside. We have the pumpkin & I figured since she was young & really "doesn't know better" I would make the Jack-O-Lantern on Mon (my next day off) & let her help & then figured right after I could start on the pumpkin puree & freeze it to make my very 1st from scratch pumpkin pie this year. I was wondering if it could work? If so how would I do all of it? I am using this website as a reference as it was the first I found with the puree recipe? www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org

Oh! This may sound weird, but are there any baby foods I can make from this too? We have a 9 month old & I figured if I was going to puree a pumpkin see if I can make a baby food too. LOL!

Momma_Forever

Asked by Momma_Forever at 10:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I made a pie from the pumpkin that was scooped out the jack-o-lantern one year. You have to cook the pumpkin down. My pie was delicious. Try making your pie. I think the amount of spices you use can make or break a pie. I prefer light on the spices so I can taste the puimpkin but other people like it heavily spiced.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 11:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Big pumpkins really aren't great for eating, but you can if you really want to. The flavor just isn't as good. Here is a great site on how to cook a pumpkin. You can cook the whole thing and then just set some aside for baby food, and use the rest for pie! But really, the stuff in the can is just as good. My aunt was going to prove that from scratch is better one year, so she made both. The canned one was better.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/pumpkin-babyfood-recipes.htm
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 11:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• You *can*, but it won't be as good as a "pie" pumpkin, which is intended for eating. Jack O Lantern pumpkins, generally speaking, are watery and stringy, so they don't make for good eating.

Good luck.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:38 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• you can just add a bit more pie spice to the recipe... i need to do this cause my puree went bad over night i was rushed and forgot to put it away i had about 8 gallons of puree pie pumpkin all bad now :(
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 8:58 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• we do it every year! cut into small sections and boil with brown sugar until the pumpkin is practically falling apart. Cool, and drain drain drain. It will be so soft u don't have to puree but u can. then substitute for can pumpkin in any recipe, You'll never go back! I don't recommend this recipe for baby food because of the brown sugar, but w/out it it will be good for baby food, its a vegetable.
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 1:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2008